Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

3.2SS part II: split the case

Last week I started tearing down a 3.0 to build a 3.2SS.

Had a few hours today. Time to split the case. Took off all the fasteners, removed the case through bolts, and bumped the case. It would not move. Oh yeah, forgot those two studs on the right half lower. Two bumps with the deadblow and it starts to move.

The case did not want to separate. It was hung on the studs. Careful pulls straight up freed the halves.

Next it was time to remove the crank. It pulled easily with a slight twist to free the int shaft. I set it on the flywheel and secured it with two bolts.

Next pull the int. shaft, oil pump and chains.

Time to inspect the bearings and wear surfaces. I found lots of wear on the left side of the #8 main bearing.

I also found wear on the inside int. shaft bearing. its almost worn to the copper and looks slightly flakey.

The only history I have on this engine is that it dropped a valve seat and destroyed a piston, a few heads and shut down. I was pleased to find only one small mark in the crank main bearings.

The mark is barely detectable with a fingernail. So far, no marks on the crank at all.

next step is to remove rods, more cleaning, measure the crank, inspect the rods and then gather parts for machine work and final assembly. This is where there will be little progress updates.

classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Looks like you dodged a HUGE bullet. Any score marks on the crank?
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 03-13-2005, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No marks on the crank at all. I am still cleaning but did not see any. Once I get the rods off I will do a better cleaning and inspection. Got the mic set sitting there ready to go. I also dug out the dial bore gauge set. I will clean and bolt the case together and measure it out. I don't expect any problems with the Al case but I will check to make sure.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jamie, you should contact the 914guy at you know where. He knows the PO well. From what he told me the car had been repeatedly badly overheated prior to it’s demise. He also said the car had been a local show winner prior to being turned over to the prodigal son a few years ago! The interior supports total neglect as it is obvious the top had been left off numerous times! Top was in good shape, it’s on my ’84 beater! Surprisingly the chassis was in relatively good shape. Even the s@#t brown paint looked OK after some cleaning. The car is a ’78 SC and is scheduled for parting out or sale as a roller.

Are you retroing your Targa to “soft window”?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Dave, Thanks for the contact. I will do some investigating. Ahh yes, the prodigal son. Things like this do happen.

I will be replacing the entire top end. I have new heads, cams, cam towers, and piston/cylinders. This should take care of any areas damaged by the heat.

Yes, I will be doing a softwindow conversion on my targa. I expect to tear it down for new paint in a few months. That's when the conversion will take place.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dc914guy
Hey, I know that motor.. I hope you got a good deal on it.

Jamie, you've got an e-mail. Please don't hesitate to contact me about it.

~Eric
Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Eric, Thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What advantages do you anticipate with the new crank and the
resulting short stroke 3.2? Will you get quicker revs, more HP,
different torque curve?

I'm interested in why you chose to go with a short stroke
set up?

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 03-19-2005, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

its not a new crank. I am using a 98mm piston on a 3.0 (70.4mm) crank. the normal piston diameter is 95mm. The new displacement is 3186cc. Because the crank is still a 70.4mm stroke this motor is commonly called a 3.2 short stroke. its just an overbore 3.0.

yes, it will have all the advantages. Most of them coming from the increase in compression ratio and the change in cam. I am hoping for an (optomistic) 260 at the crank. One can dream right!
Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ahhh, I see. Thanks. I thought you were upgrading and
existing 3.2 with a 3.0 crank to get a short stroke.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 03-20-2005, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: