Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I am considering 3.0 turbo for first rebuild(with your support)

I am a little apprehensive about jumping into this as I know many special tools will be needed and I have no experience with micrometers, dial gauges, and tolerances, shims, ect. With the seizing of my oil pump last weekend, and the broken intermediate shaft, My choices are to look for a good used 3.0 and get on the road or rebuild.

My engine is a CIS 79 SC 3.0 in a 914 which I fabricated a turbo system based from Sutters Turbo SC BAE thread with a 7th injector CSV, fired from a hobbs switch, the addition of an 8th injector if needed at 12 to 14lbs can easily be added.
I realize this may not be state of the art fuel management but it seems to work very well considering my application on a street car.
I had run the car with 9lbs the past summer and fall, and refabricated the system over the Winter with the addition of an intercooler and K27 7200, which I was able to test drive lightly with the boost still at 9lbs before the oil pump failure later that day.

My car will be a used on the street, and I dont wish to push it to the limit or overly stress it, I am not out to have the fastest car on the road. My goal is to have a very reliable turbo charged 3.0 pushing 12 to 14 lbs on boost on my playful bursts now and then.

I will need guidance in regards to the best piston and cylinder set up for the turbo, flame rings, ect. I have not spoken to Henry from Supertec yet, but if I chicken out and choose to have the rebuild done by a pro I will give him consideration because of his help over the phone and taking the time to answer my questions over the past few years ( plus he loves to turbo engines).

My engine was in very good running condition before the oil pump seizing, no leaks no burning oil and was completely rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago. Engine had 104k miles when rebuilt. Items replaced include head studs, carrera tensioners, all bearings,_gaskets, oil return tubes, rod bolts and nuts, rings, cams, oil switches for gauges, coil, distributor and other little parts.

I feel the oil pump failure was caused by me when I was drilling and tapping the back of my cam for the turbo oil scavenge pump. Even using a magnet and a shop vac I was afraid some metal would my find its way into the oil system, but we wont know that until we get there.

The good thing is that damage maybe light as the car had only traveled a half a block and entering the driveway when the failure occurred. A loud knock was present but sounded like it was coming from the chain tensioner cover (broken intermediate shaft?) but it could certainly be a rod bearing.

Anyway I have ordered Wayne's book and will start to do my studying. Wish me luck.
Here are a few pictures of my turbo 914 fabrication.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400

Last edited by iamchappy; 04-12-2005 at 01:32 PM..
Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
a few more

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
That's a pretty mean looking -6.. oil pump failures are pretty rare. take lots of pics

GOOD LUCK!
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 04-12-2005, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You will feel better when you have done that type of planning. Getting the engine out is your first step. You have plenty of time to speak with the pros.

You will probably want to be involved in some of the work. You can get the motor out, apart, and then to the machine shop.

Best of Luck.

Regards,
Old 04-12-2005, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Engine is just about out, I have become very good at getting them in and out very quickly, my lift helps speed things up quite a bit.
I will start to tear it down to find out what damage was done. I have been wondering why the oil pressure light never lit and was wondering if the turbo oil scavenge pump was keeping pressure on the circut because my turbo oil line feed is tapped into a tee fitting with the oil pressure switch. The oil pressure never dropped to zero on the gauge.
I will make quick work of it and will start posting when I become dazed and confused.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuild it or your always be wondering what is inside of the engine you bought. My first rebuild is cranking away and I'm driving it with total confidence because I inspected every part, checking and double checking everything. You don't get that same confidnce buying a complete engine unless it comes from areally good rebuilder ($$$). You can do it!!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Don

I got Waynes book the other day and am busy reviewing it.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-15-2005, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just noticed you are in MN - I'm just down in Madison, WI. While I'm no expert, I can provide an extra set of eyes and hands if you ever need them when building your engine!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Don, When the time comes I will appreciate any help or advise you can give me, thanks for offering up the help.

David

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-15-2005, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck with the build David, by the look of the fab work on the rest of the car I doubt you'll have any probs putting an engine together

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That looks like one hell of a beastie!!!

Keith.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I got the engine out this morning and will start the autopsy to find out what went wrong.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-16-2005, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
good luck!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: