Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
How does this engine build sound?

The time for me to begin building my motor might come up quite a bit faster than expected. The car is still in my garage at home sans everything but suspension so I can push it around, I still need to get it over to Kevin so we can start the bodywork! Good thing is I found a 3.2 for my dad's car so I get his 3.0 for myself. As soon as I am finished building his motor I get to tear into his old one (mine!).

So after months of deliberation this is what I have come up with:
78 3.0 SC base
Case stays
Rods stay
Oil pump stays unless I find a bargain on a turbo pump
Heads, cam towers, rockers, all the little stuff stays

New stuff:
100mm p and c's about 10.5-11:1cr
possibly switch out the crank for a 3.2 crank, still up in the air on this.
964 dizzy with sc guts, recurved
two msd boxes firing twin plugs
ge 60 kinda cams
everything balanced or polished or ceramic coated, soft nitrided, you get the picture.
boattailed case, knife edged crank, ported and polished heads with stock valves
performance springs with either lightened or Ti retainers
Ti con rod bolts
Supertec head studs
polished rockers
993 heat exchangers with dual out muffler for street and megaphones with cookie cutters for fun and track.
carbs to start with but hopefully an itb setup with efi is in the works.
RSR style flywheel and sachs performance clutch.

Big question is how does one adapt a Tilton multiplate clutch to a 72 915 tranny?
On the tranny I have a later reinforced side plate cover and am ordering the reinforced main bearing plate. Already tore down the tranny and things look perfect inside, probably change a couple gears around or just change the final drive from the 7.3whatever it is now to the later 8.something or other since the car it's going in will weigh around 2000lbs and I think I will have plenty of power to push it around.

A pic of the RSR style flywheel I wheel have mine machined like...

Old 04-20-2005, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

why the ge-60 cams? i have ge-80's in my 2.7 and they are fantastic at the track - and not at all hard to live with on the street (smooth idle, good low down torque etc).

if ge-60's cost the same i think you will be leaving some free hp on the table.

a friend with ge-60's drove my car and is now swapping them out for 80's the next time he puills his engine
Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
thanks, i havent really heard any comparison on the two cams in hot street cars/track cars so your point goes a long way.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If your going to spend this much on the engine I would think the turbo oil pump should be on the top of the list. I wouldn't wait on a bargain that is the heart of the engine. At the very least get a Carrera pump.
Also, with that high of a compression, you are going to have to run racing fuel and problably have to dual plug to get the most out of your engine. Maybe you should stick with 9.8:1. That will let you run 93 octane.
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are you going to go with Webers or new PMO's? If you are going with new PMO's, don't rule out throttle bodies/EFI. If you are willing to run Megasquirt, the packages will be pretty similar in price.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

p.s. i have 10.5:1 JE's and single plug and have no detonation problems with 96 or 98 octane fuel
Old 04-21-2005, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by obrut
p.s. i have 10.5:1 JE's and single plug and have no detonation problems with 96 or 98 octane fuel
I've never built a high compression engine like this one, so I'm only echoing others on this board.
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 04-21-2005, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
This is going to be a race gas only motor I presume. No way will you be able to run 100mm P's & C's with 10.5-11:1 CR and single plug on 91 octane here in California. In fact, I will be highly surprised if you will get away with it with dual plugs. You may have to blend race/pump gas a bit to get the octane level to 93-94 and than you might get away with it.

The 930 pumps are expensive, you may wish to look into a GT3R pump. I think that they are about $600-$700 from PMNA.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ralph, nice call on the gt3r pump, pretty slick. Yes I plan to twin plug it, I am not sure if that was clear or not. I have a 964 dizzy that will be setup to run on my motor firing spark through two msd 6al boxes since i already have one and am getting another dirt cheap from a friend.

As far as race gas I can get 100 octane at a station maybe 3 minutes from my house, all the machine work is being done super dooper primo deal price, he owes me for the mountain bike I have him haha. The efi/itb setup I am working on will be based on either Jenvey tb's because I can get them in almost any size I want or another alternative if I can find one. A friend of mine is 3d modeling some trumpets for me and various length manifolds for me at school and we are going to spit some out on the new HAAS cnc mill we got. Hopefully those workout, now just to workout a simple throttle setup, anyone ever use a cable all the way from the cabin to the engine bay?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: