Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What should I do now?

I've got my engine out (Carrera3.0 1977) ready to be worked on. I was going to attempt a tensioner upgrade and new clutch. However, I've had look at the mechanical tensioners and clutch and they all look pretty good. Looking through all the paperwork I found that the engine has had a rebuild about 25K miles ago. Here is a list of items the PO replaced..
Clutch
Timing Chains and Tensioners (mechanical) and sprockets
Piston Rings
Main Bearing shells
Drain tubes
And I found some photos of all the pistons and valves on a bench looking all shiney.
The car was running fine but used to get a little hot in traffic. Think I've solved this one when I found a poly bag welded to the top of the oil cooler! It leaks abit but then again it's old and I don't mind topping it up now and again.
My questions are...
Should I bother replacing these parts?
How long to mechanical tensioners last?
Or should I just clean it all up and get it running again. Been off the road for 2 years now and summers coming!
Your opinions are always appreciated.
Cheers M
Old 04-21-2005, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would:
Leave the clutch alone.
Still do the tensioner upgrade.
Update/Install a Carrera cooler.

If the engine was rebuilt 25K ago, then it's not old. Don't be mistaken by the rumor that it's ok if they leak a little.
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 04-21-2005, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: