Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smile resealing my engine, 78 sc

I have a 78 911 sc and the engines out. I have striped it down to the "long block". Is it normal to have some oil coming from the spark plug holes? When the engine is spun on its side it seems like the oil is driping from these holes(plugs are still in). Are there any other seals/gaskets that should be replaced. I have 101 projects and its a big help but its my first time with the engine out, 1st porsche too picked it up for $5800 Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You probably have some rocker arm shafts that are leaking. They leak into the area where the spark plugs go. You can buy a set of RSR rocker shaft seals and install them while you have the engine out. Did you have oil leaking out of the heads onto the heat exchangers with the engine installed?

-Andy
Old 08-05-2005, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thats exactly what was happening. I had oil all over the heat exchangers. The clutch was the original rubber centered and it exploded all over the place. However, that is my major problem. How do I seal those up? Thanks
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You should read up abit on these engines to make sure you understand the details but the basic plan would be to remove the rocker shafts (just the ones that are leaking if you like). Install RSR rocker shaft seals ( these are rubber "washers" that go in the shaft grooves). Re-install rocker shafts.

Things to watch for: Clean ends of shafts and bores before trying to remove shafts so the bores don't get scratched. Turn crank to get rocker on the "heal" so there is no friction from the rocker arm. The shafts must go in so the rocker arm is centered on the shaft. One side of the bore is fatter than the other so the shaft is recessed in more on one side than the other.

Some recommend re-installing dry to get a better seal and then oiling the shaft after it's installed (there is a convenient hole in the rocker arm for this purpose).

Good luck

-Andy
Old 08-06-2005, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: