Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

NJ Machine Shop?

I have read good recommendations for machine shops and engine builders here, but I haven't found any recommended near me. Can anyone recommend a NJ/NY area machine shop?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Verdon Tool and Die
Blackwell? NJ

or just ship to German Precision or Ollies etc
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-07-2005, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Can you tell me more about Verdon?

Also, do Ollies and GP have websites?

Thanks Tim!
Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
what? me worry?

We use Verdon for alot of the head work and case work, We use CCR for cranks, and Web-Cam, and more recently "Camgrinder" John Dougherty for cams..

Im at home now and dont have Verdons # here...

I believe both Ollies, and German Precision have a web presence

Personally, Ive always had great service with German Precision..Call Ted, he is a good guy and knows his stuff..

There is a machine shop here on Long Island that we are training to do head work for us, but the work isnt quite up to snuff, so Ill keep them under wraps for now..
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There really are no short cuts with this stuff, huh? I was going to try and avoid shipping and I wanted to speak to my machinist face to face, but it seems like experience is the real key here. Thanks again Tim.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I spoke to Ted and he recommended reusing the rings and not even touching the P&Cs (engine has 150k miles, no broken studs, torn down to make sure it is okay for racing since it sat unused for 8 yrs). I have not heard much from people doing this. Is this common?

I would pretty much only need to ship my heads and conn rods based on my discussion with him so I'm not so scared of the shipping charge now. I was expecting to need case work!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

what? me worry?

Ill vouch for Ted again, Ive used German Precision many times over the past 15 years or so and he has always been reasonably priced, prompt, fair, and honest

that works for me
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That mean a lot to hear such a good review. I'll probably use him once I get my act together. I finished teardown and have to disassable the cam towers from the heads. Then I can box everything up to ship.

Ted said anyone local can polish the crank and stuff. Can you recommend someone near here or does that really mean almost anyone, such as the guy down the street?

Thanks again Tim.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Yes a local chebby shop can do a nice micro polish... tell them you just want things polished, and no dimensional changes and all will be good..

Verdon can polish the crank, as can S&K , McBetts, Im not sure of the situation in your area.
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-09-2005, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Reuse 150k miles ring and pistons? Dont touch the cylinders? Wow, thats good advice. makes you wonder how often that guy chenges his underwear.

Bet you theyre shot, the walls have wear and taper, theres a ridge at the top, the radial and axial clearance on the pistons is out of spec, and the rings are worn all the way across the face.

Follow that guys advice and you may want to reuse the old main and rod bearings as well.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: