Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1971 911 T msd 6a ignition

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. my 71 911T has cds ignition. I believe cds box has failed. Last time it started ran for about 15 min. then shut down no cranking rpm no spark. oil temp light flashes constantley. I got an msd 6a ignition box and was told to just disconect the cds box and wire it in. well I done that and it runs but runs like it has no advance. It also has a marelli distr. My question is what have I done wrong?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

YOu need to first check that the points are adjusted properly. I assume you have points because I can't see how a Crane optical or pertronix would install in a Marelli dist.

Have you checked the advance with a timing light? Have you phyiscally turned the rotor by hand to see if the mechanical advance is working? This may require dist. removal, cleaning and overhaul.

Just be aware that the high energy ignitions like Crane and MSD will cause your cap and rotor to wear much faster. I know these are next to impossible to find for your dist. You may want to start looking for a replacement distributor while your car is still running.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 09-03-2005, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Jamie's right; you are going to eat your points and cap much more quickly. I thought you could get the Crane to fit in the Marelli though? Something in the back of my mind tells me I read something about it...

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 09-03-2005, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I installed new points checked them and checked them again. after I installed the msd and found that it didn't run real good. I put it back the way it was not touching the points or anything. just hooking up the cds box and coil. It ran fine for about 15 min and then quit. no spark. one more question, oil temp light at top of gauge blinks continuosly. would that have anything to do with no spark condition. thanks brian
Old 09-03-2005, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: