Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My last cam timing question - answered

(follow up to "My last cam timing question.")

Okay guys, I figured it out. As everyone suggested without saying it - I was suffering a brief case of "the dumb ass."

When everyone questioned my findings I went back to check through the suggested procedure for checking cam timing and found that I forgot to reset the #1 and #4 intake valves after going through the piston-to-valve clearance check on all my cylinders.

DOH!

With the valves properly set, my cam timing readings with the tensioners installed were exactly the same as previously set without them when I used the padded vice grips to tension the chains.

Thanks for waking me up.

Jack
Old 12-08-2005, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Just to followup - minor changes will be present, but you should not use the chain tensioners themselves to hold tension on the chain. As someone previously mentioned, it does not place enough tension to accurately simulate the running engine...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 12-11-2005, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Just to followup - minor changes will be present, but you should not use the chain tensioners themselves to hold tension on the chain. As someone previously mentioned, it does not place enough tension to accurately simulate the running engine...

-Wayne
Wayne,

What exactly does 'minor changes' mean? I set my timing yesterday using the vice grip/wood block method (for the right side). After installing the tensioners (old style mechanical), the timing doesn't seem to be minor at all. I'll have to go back and re-check the measurements on both sides today to get accurate estimates, but I want to understand what 'minor' means before calling it a success.

For what it's worth, I timed each side about 5 times to make sure I was doing it right and gtting consistent readings.

Thanks,

Dion
Old 12-11-2005, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: