Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Formerly bb80sc

Converting CIS to ITB's/EFI: Re-curve distributor?

Hey ya'll, as the subject says, I am converting from CIS to ITB's and EFI on my 80 3.0l motor. Should I, or do I need to re-curve the distributor? For the time being, I'll use stock cams and pistons....

Should also note that I am doing fuel only at this point using MegaSquirt. I also have MSD CD unit.

TIA
-B
2017 Mazda CX5

Last edited by Vipergrün; 01-30-2006 at 02:25 AM..
Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CEO
How much did you pay for the Jenvey ITB setup. I am looking for a 48mm Taper and dont know who has the best prices.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

Kenneth, I got a "promotional" deal on the Jenveys and was asked not to disclose the cost That being said, I would recommend contacting Mike at Motomotions, he can also hook you up with MegaSquirt if you need an ECU. You can also try Mack at Emerald Performance. While not a Porsche shop, he has been helpful in working thru some issues I had. If you are using a filter setup, such as ITG, make sure you order horns short enough to fit under the housing. I have the 48mm taper and the manifolds taper to 34mm since I have the smaller intake ports. Feel free to send me a PM (wink) if you have more questions.

cheers
-Brad
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would leave the distributor with the stock curve until you get your fuel dialed in. Once that is done, lock the distributor and use the Megasquirt/MSD box to custom map your ignition.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mike, what megasquirt are you using to control spark? Are you using MSI with MSnExtra or MSII? (and which PCB, 2.2 or 3.0?)
Old 01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I used MSnSExtra on a MS-I v2.2 board with EDIS for my setup.

If I were to do it again, I would probably go with MS-II and use a locked distributor with an optical trigger or hall effect sensor to control spark. It's quite simple to wire up (2 wires - Sensor to MS-II and MS-II to the coil). It would keep the stock appearance and allow for full spark control.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: