Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Rebuild Oil

I finally finished my 3.2 rebuild tonight and fired her up for the first time. Firstly id like to thank everyone on this forum who as offered me advice throughout my rebuild and of cause Wayne's book for the step by step guide to rebuilding these engines. I will post pics of my newly finished engine tmrw when I get my camera out. I ran the engine tonight for about ten minutes at alternating speeds and intend to take it out for a drive tmrw to run the rings in properly for about 30 miles or so. Currently I have chepo ultra low quality oil in that I intend to change after this first drive tmw. What I want to know is can I then go straight to synthetic oil that I intend to use at every oil change for the car or am I best to stick to a mineral based oil untill its got a few more miles on it and when is the next time I should change the oil after this first change?

Thanks Steve
Old 02-09-2006, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

By cheap I hope you mean non detergent....as far as syn oil goes its a religious thing...seems to ask for leaks in the air cooled eng. Also when you do all the home work there is not a lot of diff except price.....I know some will take exception to this but I have done a lot of research (reading)as I do not have a oil lab so I have to go with the confluence of things.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would use a non-synthetic oil until you're put at least 1,000 miles on the engine. Preferably, 3-5k if you can stand to wait. Then you can switch to your choice of synthetic. I'm not sure if it's at all necessary to actually use a non detergent for break in any more, but if I were you I would at least add an anti-suffing additive. Anything with high levels of ZDDP would suffice. Although it's not very potent, the red STP 4-cyl treatment will do in a pinch- just make sure it's the one that has the viscosity of oil, not molasses.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The oil is detergent free but not by choice as I didnt realise it was an issue, whats the significance of detergants in the oil on a rebuild?

Steve
Old 02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

The big deal is seat the rings insurance....at 1st I thought this was all old wives tales, but after much research that's the correct ans non detergent oil. I must admit I did like you (wish I had not) but all turned out ok...........make sure you follow "proper break in procedure esp. if you have a new cam....also to seat the rings.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Yep, a good Straight Mineral Oil like Aeroshell 80 would be a good choice for break in
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My thoughts exactly. I actually have some Exxon non-dispersant Av break in oil on the shelf. I had purchased it here: http://www.eliteetc.com/exoil.html

I still think it's a good idea to add some ZDDP at break-in.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So how does detergent in the oil affect ring seating I have searched all day on google and found opinions both ways but carnt find no explantion? Also how long should I use non detergent oil for?

Heres a pic of my newly finished engine

Steve
Old 02-12-2006, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
We use the straight mineral in our aircraft for break in which is about first 50 hours or until oil consumption stops, don’t know how this applies to Porsche engines since they run at a lot higher RPM I think the big thing is to keep the power up over 60% to avoid glazing of the cylinders during this break in period
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
yeah craig, but if you make a mistake in an aircraft motor, there's no one around to complain so how do you REALLY know it works?

I use a straight 30 weight non detergent oil, non-syntheic to break in our motors.
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 02-12-2006, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Right I have now done about 50 miles with my new engine all seems well no smoke and brilliant throttle responce. I think its about time I changed the oil. Should I keep with the non-detergent at this point? and if so how long for?

Steve
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

"if" you have done progressive engine loading its time
Old 02-14-2006, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: