Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Support bracket and oil sump for K27 turbo

Is the standard turbo support bracket (the one that mounts on three of the rear engine carrier studs on the crankcase) supposed to work with a K27-7200? I have an early 3.0 car, which had the thermal reactors, and I am changing to the later, post-86 exhaust, as well as putting on a K27, so I am lacking a frame of reference for this. UPS lost my 3LDZ, so I can't try that for fit, to see whether this is a problem with the dimensions of the turbo, or something on the exhaust or bracket.

The main problem is that when I mount the K27 to the support bracked, the turbo is around 1/2" to 3/4" to the left of where it should be. The turbo does seem to be in the right place, front to rear. Is the bracket for a later Turbo (post '86) different? Anyone else seen something like this and, if so, how did you resolve it?

Also, I cannot make the standard post-86, turbo oil sump fit, even if I leave the bracket off, and just hange the turbo on the exhaust "j pipe," because there is not enough room between the j pipe and the crankcase. However, I can get the original sump (the square kind for thermal reactor cars) to fit if I "reclock" the hot housing. Any thing wrong with using the square sump?

I am posting this on Rennlist, as well. My apologies if you've read it twice.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Tom F2; 02-13-2006 at 07:06 AM..
Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Based on a private mail I received and a note in B. Anderson's book, I'm judging, for now, that what I need to do is to mill 10 to 13 mm off the outlet side of the hot housing. Can anyone tell me exactly how much I should have milled off?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I received a number of replies through email and on Rennlist. There seem to be two schools of thought - mill the outlet side of the hot housing by 9.5 mm is one school, cut and reweld the bracket is the other. The thread depth on the K27-7200 is a mere 20 mm, so cutting 9.5 mm off the face leaves just 10.5 mm of thread, not enough in my view. Plus the cut leaves the turbine end of the shaft sticking out of the housing, which doesn't seem convenient if you're taking the muffler off with the engine installed.

Any further thoughts here?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom F2
I received a number of replies through email and on Rennlist. There seem to be two schools of thought - mill the outlet side of the hot housing by 9.5 mm is one school, cut and reweld the bracket is the other. The thread depth on the K27-7200 is a mere 20 mm, so cutting 9.5 mm off the face leaves just 10.5 mm of thread, not enough in my view. Plus the cut leaves the turbine end of the shaft sticking out of the housing, which doesn't seem convenient if you're taking the muffler off with the engine installed.

Any further thoughts here?
I have a K27-7200 on my '87. I had alignemt probelms with the bracket too. I'm heasitant to machine or mill the turbo housing. I also don't have a welder to cut and re-weld the bracket. My plan is to "slot" the holes on the bracket...even if it means widening/slotting them all the way to the outside edge. I'm planning to use only the bottom two holes to attach the bracket to the engine. I figure that's better than nothing. I'm also going to be using a "zork" tube straight pipe off of the turbo, so that will help lighten the load as it were.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-15-2006, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a 1977 930 with a K27 on it and had the same problem with the bracket. I just trial fitted the rear tin work and used a vice to bend and re-align the bracket to accept the K27 - worked fine.
2000 Subaru WRX
Old 02-15-2006, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can not mill the K27 7200.. The milling was done on the 7006. It has a different turbine housing. If you machine the 7200 you will damage the turbine housing.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: