Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.0 or 3.2

Hello to all. I'm new to the forum, and could use some advise. I just acquired a 66' 911. From the second owner and with only 77K miles it's an oldie but a goodie. The body and chassis are remarkable, but the engine and trans need work. The car sat in a garage for the last 14 years, but after considerable effort the motor ran. Unfortunately, even with 150 lbs of comp. it smokes quite a bit, and the trans only provides 1st and reverse. I'd like to put them on the side, for now, and replace the motor and trans with a 915 and a 3.0 or 3.2., I think. Could you folks give me some advise here? Aside from the hp difference between the two: Which way would you go and why? Thanks in advance!
ps Can't get over the abundance of information on this site! Glad to have found it. Aloha, Jon
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
First, welcome to the forum. Now where are the pics of the '66?

I am in a similar situation right now. As circumstance would have it I currently have a 3.0 and a 3.2. And I am going to go with the 3.2.

I am choosing the 3.2 because as they say, "there is no replacement for displacement." I also like the motronic engine managment system over the CIS of the earlier 3.0L engines, but some would argue that point vigirously. I think that the 3.0L engines have better low end torque than the 3.2's do, but I could be wrong on that and some changes to the chip and exhaust in the car could aleviate that issue some.

When buying a 3.2 check and see if there has been a top end rebuild where the valve guides were replaced. There has been an issue with pre-mature valve guide wear on the 3.2L engines. If you decide to go with either the 3.0 or 3.2 you have to check and make sure that the headstuds have not been broken as this is an issue with both engines. I think really you should hunt for the best engine you can afford if you find a solid 3.0L with upgraded chain-tensioners (to hydraulic carrera type the 3.2's all have this), and good compression and leakdown numbers then you should go for that. On the other hand if you find a solid 3.2L engine then that would be better. There is not a significant price difference between the two that I have noticed. Also add into your costs of engine transplants that you will probably need to look into better oil cooling for either the 3.0 or the 3.2.

I don't know what you are exactly looking for or what you budget is, but a lot of times some really good deals come up on engines on the parts for sale forum. YNUTKLER was selling an engine he would personally rebuild with some warranty, I think, for somewhere around 9K or so. That is a decent deal considering a 3.0 or 3.2 is going to cost you at least 5K and you wont know exactly what the overall shape of the engine is. You could get lucky and find a great engine that will last you a long time, or you could be unlucky and buy an expensive paperweight. There is a risk in buying a used engine even when it is from an honest seller. I am going to sell my 3.0 in the near future but I don't know exactly when something could go wrong with it. It could be 100,000 miles from now or it could be 100 I really don't know and I like to think of myself as an honest person.

Here is a really good website dedicated to transplanting a 3.2 into an eariler car a '77 I believe. Good luck with you endeavor it is a lot of fun. And I say it a lot of times but Wayne Dempseys book on engine rebuilding is full of tons of information that could come in handy.
3.2 install page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/marcesq1/

Engine rebuild book:
http://www.101projects.com/911-Rebuild/index.htm

Rich

Last edited by Rich76_911s; 02-22-2006 at 07:39 AM..
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mahalo for the info Rich! Good luck on your project!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
No problem glad I could give you 2 cents of information. Others with more knowledge could chime in. I did add a little to my original post so you might want to re-read it. What time is it out there in the pacific? Sleepy time or what?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rich, Those were great links! Can't get over the detail of photos and information. I feel for you after looking at the pics of the rust in your car. Body- work is my least favorite chore. I feel lucky to have gotten a car this old with the body in such good condition. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for the info.!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The 87 with 3.2 incl chip/exhaust performs better than my 83 3.0 did. The best advice I could give you is, if your budget covers it, go with a freshly rebuilt motor regardless of dispalcement, because the condition of used Porsche motor depends on its use/service, and with out knowing the motor's past it is hard to say how long before you will need a rebuild.

The first step is to make a budget. Secondly, gather information to help you make selections. Thirdly complete purschases/installation. And lastly, ENJOY.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thank you Bernard! I wouldn't install either one without re-building it. I'm just curious if the 3.2 is significantly a better option. Side by side, are the re-build costs the same?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
7k +/- 1k
Old 02-23-2006, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: