Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cylinder nitriding

Does anybody have any ideas about cast iron cylinder nitriding for wear resistance? I know it is used for cranks and cams for sliding wear improvement, and some engine manufacturers use nitriding for cylinder bores as well. Anyone ever nitrided a set of Porsche cast cylinders, or know why one shouldn't do so?
GruppeB #906
1970 911T
Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't think one can nitride cast iron. The heat treatment is for alloy steel.

Cams are also usually cast iron. Some aftermarket cams have lobes that are built up with an alloy via weld depositing. I believe cast iron is hardened by induction or flame hardening. Camgrinder and others can/should correct me.

Cast iron cylinders used to be chrome plated for added wear resistance. Not sure anybody is doing that nowadays. Perhaps your best alternative is to go with a compatible set of rings (probably also cast iron), good break-in procedure and scheduled oil changes.

Sherwood
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I nitride some cast iron cams. 944 and 928 cams and some others.
These cams had a "tennifer" treatment done at the factory which is sometimes removed by grinding. Nitriding restores the hardness.
This process also stress relieves the cam.
I would think a finished cylinder would be out of round after nitriding.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

"I don't think one can nitride cast iron. The heat treatment is for alloy steel. "

That's what I though. But, according to Northeast Coating Tech, they can plasma nitride cast iron. I was wondering whether or not it would adversely affect the rings if the surface of the bore was that hard. Then again, Nickasil is pretty hard. Are the same type of rings used for Nickasil as for cast iron?
GruppeB #906
1970 911T
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just found this now. Lycoming nitrides their cylinders for aircraft engines after final machining. They claim no dimensional change. Still, I think one would have to be careful, as the traditional nitriding process requires the parts to be at least 500 C. Plasma nitriding is supposed to be less.
GruppeB #906
1970 911T
Old 03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Interesting article on nitriding.
http://www.nitrex.com/english/technologies_extra.htm#nitre
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: