Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
hotest cylinder?

is there a geneally accepted 'hottest' cylinder? Im looking for the best location for cht/egt sensors on my 3.3 turbo

thanks

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Depending on the shrouding for Oil coolers on early cars and filters and bypass plates on late cars it is cyl #6

Best regards
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

On some, it may be #3.

#3, and #6 always show the most exhaust valve guide wear. #2 being 3rd.

For some odd reason #5 seems to have the most likelihood of detonation. Not sure why.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Could it be because the intake runners have unequal flow or something to that effect?

I'm seriously considering having my OEM Carrera intake Extrude Honed to even out the airflow between cylinders (along with a 3mm larger throttle body). It's not a cheap mod either! AUD$800 to have it all flow matched
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition

Last edited by WydRyd; 03-09-2006 at 03:42 PM..
Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Tyson. Merv, I was thinking the same thing although i wonder how mush the problems with individual cylinders ar to do with uneven air flow... definately worth gearing up the fan for more airflow

Old 03-09-2006, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I put mine in cylinder #6 thinking that it has least air flow because of the engine oil cooler. And it is also next to the cooler which may have a heating effect on it too.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I really am not sure which method I used to come up wlith my conculsion it was nearly 9 years ago. I believe that we ran a 3.8 rsr on the Dyno and utililized a thermocouple under the spark plug instead of a gasket and also ran EGT on each pipe I know we ran a bunch of tests. I think the actual temp was around 25 to 35 degrees hotter on 6 and at 12.5 to 1 compression averaged 280 to 300 on a sweep from 4,000 to 7,500 at standard conditions.
On those particular motors you could run the sensor in the head temp plug on 1-3 and remove the power steering pump for 4-6 and get into that plug as well on the Dyno and compare temps for 3 and 6. We would put 2 more degrees of timing in 6 and it helped very little but it did some. I don't believe it has anything to do with air flow in the manifold, as the unit we used was a competion unit. I think it was the fan and the route it took to get to the back corner and the proximity to the oil ancillaries.

Best regards
Old 03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
all makes sense-wouldnt it be nice to run an egt and cht for every cylinder......

Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by adomakin
all makes sense-wouldnt it be nice to run an egt and cht for every cylinder......
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 03-28-2006, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Ron:
I've been thinking that the head temps are a great source of info. Did you build that setup? I want to get something for the new engine I'm putting together.
Pat
Old 03-28-2006, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Originally posted by patkeefe

Hi Pat

I've been thinking that the head temps are a great source of info.
------- CHT is excellent for a heads up on future oil temp increase, ongoing detonation, winter warm ups, etc.
EGTs is great for tuning induction AF mix, partially clogged carb jet, etc

Did you build that setup?

--------------- many hours to install. Just figuring the EGT probe angles so it leads into a 3 lead bundle took time.

I want to get something for the new engine I'm putting together.
----------- I went a little nuts on this and if I had to suggest a setup for a CIS or other consistant feed induction I'd say do a single EGT and a single CHT with a digital read and a bar graph. I'd probably search the aircraft gage sites where they can even build custom. Both singles into one in the clock hole would be cool imo.

With carb tuning the 6 EGT probes is a dream come true.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
nice setup! is it dear to run that setup? where did you buy your parts from?

Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It's a computer. There's a list of optional add on probes and it trips an alarm at a default or self adjusted EGT differential. The numeric scrolls each cylinder for 5sec, then a numeric EGT differential, and system voltage is posted. Equal combustion tuning on all 6cyls is the game with the EGTs its representative. Differential is between hottest and coolest EGT of all 6. The bar graph if always reading all 6. About 2hrs, not sure now, of run time can be downloaded with an optional set up. Cost for the unit is over $2k probably closer to $2.5k without install parts like Molex connectors, probe wire extensions. EGT probes should be good for 50k miles and are around $50ea.

Get the Aircraft Spruce catalog for eye candy.
www.aircraftspruce.com

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 03-29-2006, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
flippin eck! cheap then!

thanks for the aero link

Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: