Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

neway seat cutter questions

I have read a few mentions of people using these tools and they seem to be great.

Can anyone comment on what sizes I would need for the 2.2-2.7 valve sizes? Amazon actually lists the buggers, but I have no clue as to how a standard size would match to metric. Is there a better place to buy these? I found the company easy enough but not an online reseller (other than amazon).

I also noticed they make a product (the gizmo) for doing the valves. Is it worth purchasing, or can I just touch up the valves on a lathe? I will be using new valves, I just want to make sure that they are concentric before installing them. I am still toying with a backcut.

Thanks for any help,

tadd
Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you can use neways by hand if you're careful, but they really work best with the neway machine setup. by hand, they tend to leave chatter marks. i worked at a shop eons ago that used them exclusively, by hand, and you developed a feel for them after a while, and they worked fairly well.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Chatter

Yea, I can see that... just like putting a chamfer on a hole. Lite cuts are easy by hand. Chucking the countersink in the tail stock or in the quill makes for much nicer results if it needs to be a deep cut.

tadd
Old 03-09-2006, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I used the 642 and the 272 on 2.7 and 3.2 heads, I dont know what size 2.2 are but I was at the limit on the 2.7 heads, could not go any smaller. The cutters are adjustable for size to a limit, and they sell any size pilot you want even expandable. Call the company and they can send you out a nice product line, I ordered mine direct from them.
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.

Last edited by cgarr; 03-09-2006 at 12:17 PM..
Old 03-09-2006, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks!

cgar:

That is what I needed to know!

The 2.2-2.7s all have the same size valves, so I would assume the seats are all the same size too. Only the port size was changed IIRC.

tadd
Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
I see they do have them on Amazon, the 642 is 227.00 you can order it direct from neway for 163.00 unless there is some discount I dont see on Amazon

EDIT: never mind, I see they are drop shipped from Goodson, that explains it

Last edited by cgarr; 03-09-2006 at 12:45 PM..
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just to be sure...

Cgarr:
Just CYA here, but I would assume since you list only two cutters that one of them gets 'flipped over' and that one would be the 30/70 degree jobbie?

tadd
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
the 642 does the 46/31 and the 272 is the 75
Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Excellent!

Thank you for your help!

I'll be on the phone tomorrow.

tadd
Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tony77targa
Hey Cgarr.... can you tell me why the book specs the seats cut at 30 and 45 degrees but the cutters are 31 and 46 degrees...
Thanks
Tony
79 911 SC TARGA
97 BMW Z3
Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
To help reduce carbon build up, there is an interference angle (usually 1 degree) between the valve and seat. If I am using old valves that I have to grind then the valves can be ground at 44 degrees and the seats left at 45 degrees but most of the time new valves are used.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tony77targa
ahhhh ....Thanks for the explanation and the pictures are really helpfull as I understand better with visuals....If you dont mind me asking where the pics came from as I ahve been researching the internet and ahve not found a good source for this info as of yet.... except yours of course....
Thanks again
Tony
79 911 SC TARGA
97 BMW Z3
Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: