Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 3.2 Carrera engine rebuild?!?

I posted this ?? in the technical forum, and have a few reads, but no responses. I have a 78 SC, which I love. I have the opportunity to pick up (very cheap) an 85?(can't verify) Targa. It is completely disassembled, and the engine is sitting on wooden blocks...outside....for 6 Years!!! Although it looks fine but for a few spiderwebs, and I was told the car was driven to its current resting place, I am wondering if this kind of exposure to So. Cal weather, may have caused any major block, head or other non repairable damage. I am expecting to have to change every seal and gasket at the very least. Any opinions?
Thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Are you contemplating this deal for just the engine or to rebuild the entire car?
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 03-11-2006, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If it all goes well, I would probably like to get the car back together. The engine is my biggest concern because of the $$. The body (in pieces), appears to be in good shape. Just put it back and paint.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

You are considering the MOST expensive way in both money and time to do this project. The fact that engine is completely apart (and there IS a reason why) add the rest of the vehicle is also apart equals a HUGE commitment.

You could easily spend $40K and 100's of hours restoring a car that in flawless shape would market low $20's at best. I would not advise it.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Actually, the engine is complete, and not in pieces. Just out of the car, and sitting on the blocks. Get your point though, and appreciate the input.
Maybe I could sell it off for parts.
Thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

It would probably be worth your time if you plan to part it out.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm sure you're right.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If its an 85 engine, you may have to deal with the valve guides sooner or later which will entail at the minimum a top end rebuild. There is probably nothing more expensive then a cheap targa disassembled with its engine sitting outside on wooden blocks. Usually, one has the car inspected before buying it so they don't walk into the unknown. Asphaltgambler is right. Buy a car where someone has spent the money already and if you want to work on it, take it apart yourself
Old 03-17-2006, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
if you can get it cheap (like real cheap) i would buy it and part it out. then take the 3.2 and bolt it up. try to run it and see if you are lucky. there are lots of threads on sensible things to do before running an old/stored/exposed engine. if you are lucky then great, if not then spend the money from the sale of the targa stuff on the rebuild.

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 03-17-2006, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks.
I believe I can get it for $500.00, plus the cost of removing it. Still, I think it's best left for someone else, and I'll spend my time and effort on my SC.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
you can get the whole car for $500? BUY IT NOW! you will make a small fortune by breaking it and you may be lucky with the engine. defo not one to turn down in my eyes. the g box alone is woth $1500 if ok. crank for a 3.2 $1500 if in good shape. if its got fuchs on it then even more easy money. brakes, suspension, interior, panels, glass and you still aint sold the tub! BUY IT QUICK!!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 03-18-2006, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I think I will take your advice and start picking it up next week!
I sold my Fuchs from my SC too easily, so I know I can recover the towing money at least with those.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: