Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.6 timing chain - help ?

I am resealing the timing chain housing on my 3.6.

Started with the right side - completely removed housing, replaced ramps, cleaned and replaced seal, gasket and o-ring. Everything went well.

On to the left side. did the same thing, everything seemed to go well.
Started to set timing and noticed the left side chain was not engaging on the gear smoothly on the top - it seemed to hang up a bit. After several hours of removing checking, etc. - it appears that the that the gear and the chain ramp on the bottom does not line up properly. This is not the case on the top, nor on the right side.

I checked the washer and shims that I removed are in place?
It looks like the ramp is out too far, but i have check everything ( removed...) and am at a loss?

Any ideas ? Appreciate it!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did the left-side chain lose it's postion on the inner sprocket?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jon,

Thanks for the reply. How do i check that?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just look again. The left chain appears to beengaged in the inner sproket. I can turn it, etc.

I looks like the left cam sprocket is no longer aligned ? At least to me. I line evrything up and when I start to tighten the cam bolt the sproket moves in and pushes the chain off the ramp.

I took some quick measurements and the rigth side looks good, but the left appears to be off my 3mm? How can this happen = all I did was take off the chain housing. Assuming I measured correctly - 3mm seems way off.

Could the ramo not be engaging on the peg and be not aligning properly?

Appreciate any help.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Got it.

Would help to have the cam sprocket on correctly. I had it reverse &^%#%*.
Turn it around and everything lines up and measures within specs!!!!
I am embaressed to say how long I took to figure this out. Is this way they call a learning expereince?

thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't be embarrassed. Most have made similar mistakes. The good thing is that you figured it out.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: