Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Not 911 but close.....

I wrote this article for our local PCA newsletter what do you guy's think??

In this article we will show how to disassemble a 2.5 Boxster engine and show a lot of things that unique about its inner workings. This engine has suffered from a intermediate shaft failure we will look into seeing why it failed. Of course this will be a broad article and will not touch on all aspects of engine disassembly and reassembly

We start with engine out of the car and all accessoriesí removed like A/c compressor and Alternator etc. The first thing we remove is the valve covers from the motor. The valve covers are not movable from side to side or from one engine to another as the cam bearings are made into the cover itís self and cannot be replaced with out replacement of the cylinder head. Also there are two pumps one on each cylinder head that runís off the camshaft the pumpís are the same but must be indexed to the correct head or they will not work correctly. These pumps are used to return oil to the sump under extreme use when all of the oil can end up in the head and not in the sump where it belongs

Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The next step is to remove the camshafts from the head along with the camshaft adjuster. Now there is also two other bearing caps that now must also be removed. The camshaft is turned by a timing chain which is secured by four bolts. Remove the four bolts and the two bearing caps there is also three bolts

Last edited by 911quest; 11-15-2007 at 07:37 PM..
Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Now you can see the cams and adjuster removed from the motor you will also notice how the adjuster works. The solenoid is controlled by the ECM to allow oil to flow into the adjuster which in turn moves in and out causing the camshafts to advance
Now on the Boxster engine the chains run on chain rails which are controlled by chain tensioners Note that there are three different tensioners on the engine Two separate tensioners for Bank 1 and Bank 2 and another for the chain between the crankshaft and the intermediate shaft. These must be installed in the correct location for proper chain tension.

After removal of the cams you can remove the lifters and the holder for the lifters you must keep each lifter with its cam lobe. The holder can be removed by removing the bolts holding it to the head and it then it simply comes out. You will notice that not all boltís you remove are the same take note of this so that they can be installed back into the correct location I removed everything at on time for ease.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Now you can see the lifters removed from the head take note of the valve springs shape they are not straight up and down they are cone shaped this gives them a strong spring rate but with less weight as using dual valve springs which in turn allows the motor to rev more freely and be more efficient. The Cylinder head is secured to the motor with six TORX bolts you must be careful and use a quality socket to remove these as they will strip out easily. There are also four bolts on the perimeter of the head that must be removed also.

Feed back welcome guy's
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Pulling back the veil of mystery around the water cooled cars...LOVE IT.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting. I'm glad I'm rebuilding an '84 air-cooled motor.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Is it normal for the camshafts to be rusty like that, or is that a sign that things weren't sealed properly or something? I only ask because I'm used to seeing wear and/or pitting in disassembly pics, but not rust.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No the rust isn't normal this is just an old core engine that I got just to do the article and some tech stuff with it sat outdsde for a couple months.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here are some more picture's of the bottom end I will finish up the rest of the article

Last edited by 911quest; 01-23-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Are those ball bearings??? I'd hate to see those ejected at speed!! Can you say shrapnel?

-michael
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

fairly deep valve pockets in those piston domes!!! Must be an aggressive cam used in these engines? What is the compression ratio and fuel requirement for this boxer?
Cool stuff!!!
Bob
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Those are ball bearings the intermediate shaft is supported in the rear by roller bearings.

The engine does have 11.0 to 1 compression
Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hello 911quest
I’m interesting by how to disassemble a 2.5 Boxster engine
How can I read more of 11-20-2007, 04:46 AM
I live in Belgium (Europe) Thanks Pimpon21lg
Sorry translation Google
Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

YAY, Hans. F'n Torx head bolts. AS if the 12pts weren't bad enough. I see some head studs replacing those. Open deck block, damn won't like much boost. We could fill it with Hard Block. No hope of pinning the block, coolant passages right smack in the middle of the cylinders.

I could see pistons making a decent increase. The heads will definitely need work. I already see some shrouding in the chambers. Wonder what the ports look like.

What drives the two oil pumps in the sump? No way to dry sump it and set it lower in the chassis.. What do the freeze plugs on the bottom of the sump go to? How tall is the whole engine with the sump on?

Thanks for the pics.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by efhughes3 View Post
Interesting. I'm glad I'm rebuilding an '84 air-cooled motor.
Yeah! Me too.
2005 Scion XB "Gas sipping"
1978 Siedelmann S25 "Ataraxia"
Old 01-23-2008, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteener View Post

What drives the two oil pumps in the sump? No way to dry sump it and set it lower in the chassis.. What do the freeze plugs on the bottom of the sump go to? How tall is the whole engine with the sump on?

Thanks for the pics.
Theres only one oil pump the other two parts are oil/air seperators the sump just has a flat cover I would say it was 6-8 inchs deep.

The crappy thing was I took the motor out to some property I own to store it out there and some meth head stole the dam thing for scrap.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here you can see where the noise is coming from in this motor. The rear intermediate shaft bearing Porsche uses is a ball bearing similar to a wheel bearing this is what came apart in this motor probably due to lubrication problems this is one of the weak points in the water cooled motors. This area is also one of the culprits of the notorious oil leaks and of course the rear main seal more on that later.

In the other picture you can see more damage from the bearing coming apart. Fragments of the chain rails and shards of metal from the bearings. Also not shown in the pictures is the sump cover it is unique in itís design as if has a flap on each side of the oil pump pick up to help keep the pick up submerged in oil during cornering.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

You can see the oil pump pick up screen and the two other parts on each side of the sump are the air-oil separators these are used to keep the oil foaming to a minimal which could lead to a loss in oil pressure. Porsche went to great lengths to keep these motors from starving for oil as these motors donít incorporate an oil tank like the air cooled 911ís.

In the next step is to separate the case halfís once you remove the perimeter bolts there is only three remaining bolts that hold the case halfís to the crankshaft assembly one on one side and two on the opposite side. Now the way I took the motor apart is different then the way you would if you where actually on planning on reassembling this motor. There is an access hole on the 4-6 cylinder side of the motor so that you can pull out the wrist pins and remove that case half with the pistons staying with that case half. The way I did it was just to leave the pistons attached to the crankshaft.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now you can see the crank shaft assembly and below that is the intermediate shaft once you get to this part you can see how the RMS could become a problem as the whole crankshaft sits in a cradle and what happens is the cradle can shift and move inside the motor no longer allowing the seal to correctly do itís job.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Now there is a special fixture that is supposed to be used to lift the crankshaft assembly from the case it is heavy, it is basically a plate that bolts to the assembly that allows you to use an engine host to lift up and out of the case. Here is another photo showing the relation between the crankshaft assembly and the case also in the photo you can see the access plug used to get to the wrist pins.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: