Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 top end - at 55k

I posted this in the 930 forum, but thought this may be a good spot too....

I'm looking to get into a 930 and just had one PPI'd this morning. It's an 87 with 57K on the odo.

Here's the deal - it had a top end rebuild done at 55k. One one hand that's a great thing, I'll not have to worry about it. Is there another side where I should worry that there was a problem that caused an "early" rebuild?

I've spoken to two wrenches on the subject. One said that 60k is about time for a top end on a 930. I've only had 911s so I wouldn't know. The guy who did the PPI didn't agree and thought that was way early for a top end.

The engine work wasn't done by the current owner and I have all the records. There was $14k worth of work done including all seals, the top end, rebuilt turbo, some studs. It could very well have been a case of "while you're in there" syndrome.

Should I be happy that I won't have to worry about the top end or should I beware that something is suspicious?

'85 911 Targa - sold

Last edited by targa todd; 06-20-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Piston ring land wear is usually what needs to be addressed. Boost level and driving habits are the determining factor. i wouldn't be worried about the work.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Way too early in my opinion. Either the owner was ripped off by a shop telling him he needed it or something got FUBARed prematurely.

I got mine past the 130K mile mark before it really needed an overhaul and mine was both modded and ridden hard.

On the subject of ring land damage, it should be fine unless its suffered from a lot of detonation. My P&Cs are still good enough to reuse with that many hard miles on them. The problem with that could be that if it did suffer from a lot of detonation and they didn't go through the bottom end as well you might have to worry about the rod bearings being compromised.

Last edited by 350HP930; 06-20-2008 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: