Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Some tips on using HAZET ring compressor Nr. 794U-3

While there are a variety of opinions about the best (or cheapest) ring compressor I decided to use a HAZET 794U-3.

This type has a steel band that is detachable at one end. You place it around the rings, adjust the knob for the bore diameter and squeeze the handle, which compresses the rings. The cylinder is then pushed down over the rings and the strap slides down the piston skirt. Once the cylinder is covering the rings, the strap is detached and the compressor removed.

One thing I observed in using this tool is that it's asymmetric e.g. the band is deeper on the bottom compared to the top.

You can see the difference. If you try to use it "right side up" the base of the cylinder will hit the handle of the tool and cock the piston in the cylinder. As a result, you get half of the ring in and the other half pops out.

I had success using it "upside down" with the long portion of the strap pointing toward the ceiling. This allows you to very precisely compress the rings, slide the cylinder down so it contacts the raised protrusions in the strap, and nicely fit the cylinder. If a ring pops out, you can actually unclamp the band, slide it back up, re-clamp it and then complete the installation.

Success! (not that you haven't seen pistons before, I am posting these as a reminder to myself that in fact the INTAKE valve reliefs are on the INTAKE side!. The yellow stuff is Aeroshell Fluid 2F preservative oil, it will be removed before sealing up.

'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very useful information. I found it at the Hazet site for $156.83 which begs the question "what other special tools do you find useful for the overhauler (professional or not) ?

http://www.samstagsales.com/hazet.htm#Engine
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is there orientation (top and bottom) to those early cylinders? Just curious.

Brian
Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982911SCTarga View Post
Is there orientation (top and bottom) to those early cylinders? Just curious.

Brian
Brian,

No, unlike the later cylinders the 2,0 are symmetrical. I did install them all with the "Mahle" stamp facing the flywheel but that's just OCD so I can measure them if the engine comes apart and know if they went oval in any particular way.

Believe me, I checked a few times, no "fins up" for me!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
John,
That's an interesting looking tool (I bet you can't hear that enough.. ), I haven't seen one like that before.

This is the one I used to install my pistons last week. It's a similar style, except no handle and the band is much deeper. I've had it forever and I was curious how well it would work in this application. It actually worked quite well, pistons were a snap to install. It has Duro Industro, USA (stamped on steel band).

Your motor looks great...

Mike...

Last edited by SCrescue; 08-11-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yours is good when putting the pistons in the cylinder then the cylinders on the engine. Cramers is better when you put the cylinders onto the pistons attacched to the rods. I have used Cramers tool and it works well.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
John, years ago I used to own the Hazet model and found it lacked "stroke" length, so to say. I'd adjust it open enough to get over the rings, but then after squeezing the handle I'd still have to turn the adjusting knob in order get the rings fully compressed. I take it your works properly?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Old Tee,
The Hazet tool doesn't appear to be easy to remove if installing cylinders on pistons attached to rods. How does the strap detach and open? John, can you confirm? Just curious. Thx

Mike...

Last edited by SCrescue; 08-11-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Old 08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

SC, my ring compressor looks exactly like that, had it for at least 25 years, it's compressed a few rings in that time, always worked like a charm, especially when I learned to tap the ends down even on the cylinder/crankcase with the wooden end of my trusty ball peen hammer. brings back some memories....
Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
John,
Got it, thx

Gigem,
Lol...I bet it has compressed a few rings in its time....it's an "old school" tool, guess that makes us old schoolers........I had to smile at your description of "tapping it down with the wooden end of your trusty ball pein hammer"...amazing how nostalgic and sentimental you can get over something as basic as a ring compressor....sorry for going off topic, but my tool and I need a moment to collect ourselves....

Mike...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I've used the **** out of Hazet ring compressors, good tools. I found that one must be a little gentle with it, it's not too hard to tear the band if you're gorilla like with it (I was the witness, not the gorilla). Patience and care pays off when using one. It will reward you with excellent performance if you act like a technician rather than like a tractor mechanic with nothing but a big hammer and a big pair of vice grips to build an engine with. It's much faster to use than anything else that I've ever used on air-cooleds.

Last edited by sww914; 08-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Altzheimer's
Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
901/05