Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

clutch noise

I am getting a 'thock thock' noise when I depress the clutch fully on my SC.
From reading other threads, the most likley issue is the lever arm hitting the pressure plate. As I let the clutch out, just as it is about to take up the load, the noise goes.
But if I have to adjust it to this point, it will have some weird adjustment setting. If I reduce the travel anymore than it is, reverse seems difficult to engage.
Can the clutch thrust bearing make this noise ?
I have an obvious double pressure on the clutch pedal with the omega spring/pressure plate.
Is this normal when set right, or should it be one progressive pressure?
Thx
Alan

Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The large spring loaded idler arm should be free to rotate on the shaft. If its frozen on the shaft it becomes a problem. Sometimes you need heat or the pointed air chisel to free it and lube to rotate freely.
circlip off, drop clutch lever and small spring. Long lever, unload spring and remove clutch cable, will be free to rotate. If it isnt, there is a cross roll pin to remove thats a pain. Oncelongarmis off, anti seize and reinstall all the parts and adjust clutch with the 2 15mm open wrenches
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The arm is free to move.
Had engine out recently, so had to dismantle this bit. It is nicely lubed, and completely free.
If I reduce the amount of clutch travel I have, it is possible the noise will not be apparent - but I have to let the clutch out quite a way before it disappears. Don't know if it is the travel, or the load, that is making it disappear. Idling with clutch pedal out, no noise. Idling with clutch pedal fully in, get noise. Will not go away til clutch about half out.
Will the bearing make a noise like that?
Alan

Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: