Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rebuild Smoking at Startup

I just got my 2.4T motor rebuilt less than 100 miles ago and it just started smoking at startup! heads were machined, guides replaced, new pistons, rings etc. The mechanic has said that the engine is to run Castrol non detergent 30W for the first 500 miles then an oil change is to be done with 50 weight synthetic oil and a valve job.

Does this sound right? and should I be concerned with the white puff of smoke at startup? it happens whether the car sits for 1 minute or 1 day. From what I can tell there is no smoke at acceleration.

All feedback is appreciated

Dean
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Was your engine repaired by a reputable Porsche engine rebuild shop? Regarding the engine oil all I know is it is not recommended to use any type of synthethic oil during break-in since it's too "slippery" to allow the piston rings to seal against the cylinders.

Next time you drive your 911 go find big hills and use engine braking on downhills repeatedly in order to create maximum vacuum to help the rings to seal against the cylinders. Also, don't drive around "babying" the rebuilt engine (i.e. light loads and constant rpm all the time). I know it sounds contrary you need to put load on the engine say accelerate at 75% throttle repeatedly off and on during the first several hundred miles.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
87 - 911

Agree with Mike, don't baby it on break-in, don't abuse it but do drive it hard.
If the smoke is white, it is likely just water condensation burning off, if the engine was water cooled you might be concerned (water leak) but since our girls are air cooled you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The motor was rebuilt by two Porsche guy's who have had a number of rebuilds and workings under their belt. As for the hills I can do that as I live on a mountain and I will be sure to use engine breaks all the time. I will monitor this and thank you for the advise.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
Was your engine repaired by a reputable Porsche engine rebuild shop? Regarding the engine oil all I know is it is not recommended to use any type of synthethic oil during break-in since it's too "slippery" to allow the piston rings to seal against the cylinders.

Next time you drive your 911 go find big hills and use engine braking on downhills repeatedly in order to create maximum vacuum to help the rings to seal against the cylinders. Also, don't drive around "babying" the rebuilt engine (i.e. light loads and constant rpm all the time). I know it sounds contrary you need to put load on the engine say accelerate at 75% throttle repeatedly off and on during the first several hundred miles.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: