Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

piston ring gap

I went to insert some new 930 rings in the cylinders. The spec sheet says max wear limit ring gap is 8 thou (0.2mm).

When I insert my new rings in the very top (unworn) and lower part of the bore, I still get 12 thou gap - how does that work? I'm reasonably sure the rings dont come in various sizes.
Alan

OK, I read the specs wrong - mixed up ring gap and ring clearance specs. 12 thou is in spec - just, for new ring.

83 SC, 82 SC (After 10 yrs- finally SOLD to a good home), 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, 22/28 T bars, Digi WUR (currently in a box), Rarlyl8 Zork, modified 3LDZ, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)

Last edited by Alan L; 07-11-2011 at 04:53 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

On two engines I've rebuilt, I used the old rings because they had smaller end gaps than the new rings I' had bought.

-Andy
Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On other engines I have done, you haveless than minimal gap and have to grind the ends to open them to minimum spec - with a special ring grinder stone.
So it does seem weird when re-ringing these things you have to start off with more than minimal ring gap - especially for a track machine. Squeezing up the ring gap to the bare minmum (which is usually a secret number to the engine builder) is one of the performance edges builders look for. But not an option here.
Alan

83 SC, 82 SC (After 10 yrs- finally SOLD to a good home), 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, 22/28 T bars, Digi WUR (currently in a box), Rarlyl8 Zork, modified 3LDZ, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: