Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

piston ring gap

I went to insert some new 930 rings in the cylinders. The spec sheet says max wear limit ring gap is 8 thou (0.2mm).

When I insert my new rings in the very top (unworn) and lower part of the bore, I still get 12 thou gap - how does that work? I'm reasonably sure the rings dont come in various sizes.
Alan

OK, I read the specs wrong - mixed up ring gap and ring clearance specs. 12 thou is in spec - just, for new ring.
83 SC, 82 SC (Been gonna sell for 7 yrs), 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, 22/28 T bars, Digi WUR (currently in a box), Rarlyl8 Zork, modified 3LDZ, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust.

Last edited by Alan L; 07-11-2011 at 04:53 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

On two engines I've rebuilt, I used the old rings because they had smaller end gaps than the new rings I' had bought.

-Andy
Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On other engines I have done, you haveless than minimal gap and have to grind the ends to open them to minimum spec - with a special ring grinder stone.
So it does seem weird when re-ringing these things you have to start off with more than minimal ring gap - especially for a track machine. Squeezing up the ring gap to the bare minmum (which is usually a secret number to the engine builder) is one of the performance edges builders look for. But not an option here.
Alan
83 SC, 82 SC (Been gonna sell for 7 yrs), 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, 22/28 T bars, Digi WUR (currently in a box), Rarlyl8 Zork, modified 3LDZ, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: