Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tripple Black 86 Carrera

Garage
86 carrera distributor timing adjust help

Hi guys I hope you can help me. I had my 86 3.2 Carrera motor rebuilt after a mis-shift (don't know why it's called that, it went into gear perfectly fine....just the wrong one!). Since getting it back and re-installing it, it runs like crap sputtering when pulling off. Idle oscillates at start up and it settles at about 880rpm after a few seconds. I have to rev the motor above 2300rpm and ride the clutch through the pulloff. I did a valve adjustment after 600 miles and although it is now a lot smoother and less sputter, I noticed the rotor does not point to the center line on cap when motor is at TDC (is this correct - The crank turns clockwise so the advance mark will be to the right of the Z1/TDC mark?). When I look at the rotor (brand new), the very right side tip is the only side that sparks and the copper or whatever metal it is, is starting to corrode. Please see picures. If I push the rotor with my finger, the springs allow it to open so the rotor and center line align center to center. Wouldn't it make sense if the rotor was a little closer to the center line and if so, how can I adjust it?

Despite pulling off with higher rpm, the car has stalled twice and it seems to not receive any spark which kills the motor. The problem seems to be when cruising below 2300 rpm in any gear, but worst at initial acceleration. It's fine when I GIVE IT GAS and get off it. This is a issue in LA traffic.

Hope I'm making sense.

Thanks
KJ

Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The top picture is the most correct providing your crank pulley is on Z1. If youre not on Z1, set pulley to z1 and pull the distributor, replace so it is like picture one.
Bruce
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Replace the rotor as well..
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Tripple Black 86 Carrera

Garage
So if I look at the rotor directly, it is in fact to the left of the line and not pointing at it correct? Should I used 2000grit sandpaper and remove carbon or not worry about it?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tripple Black 86 Carrera

Garage
It's a brand new rotor, can't I just lightly sand and remove carbon?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

KJ, dont worry about the carbon
picture 1 shows flywheel marks Yellow one is TDC Z1 the red to the right is 35 advance, the advance is no concern except to verify z1

picture 2 shows the pin to locate the flywheel on Z1 at the 9:00 oclock mark. Notice the 2 large holes top and bottom because the pin is under the bolt and washer.

Now you can see in pic 3 the relationship to the pin and z1

Good talking to you
Bruce
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Tripple Black 86 Carrera

Garage
problem solved on distributor

Bruce, thanks for all your help! I checked all the markings and tweaked as needed. In the end i pulled the distributor and rotated it so the rotor was one notch closer to the center line...AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM. WooHoo!!!!
Now all I need to do is replace bearings on front, do wheel alignment, replace the rear sway bar that I ripped off and find the gremlin electrical short that sometimes turns off the radio and causes my fog lights to stop working....I love my car!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
carrera , distributor , rotor , tdc