Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Do I need the factory shop manuals for a 1990 3.6 rebuild?

I have Waynes book and the 964 companion manual. Ive never seen the factory manual so I don't know what Im missing. Im compiling parts and tools and books for the job. Waiting on my crank to get repaired by Armundo at CCR. Heads and rods have been cleaned up, new clevite rod bearings. New gaskets/seals. Hope to start soon thanks.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have the factory service manuals and I would say no you don't need them for an engine rebuild. I would use Wayne's book and the Bentley manual.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would think the engine section would be very helpful. Do you have a source for torque setting, ring gaps, and all the 1001 other little details?
3.6 motors are considerably different than the earlier engines.
I have Waynes 911 rebuild book and the Bentley but still use the factory manual. Looks like I'll need to rebuild my wife's 964 motor in near future and even with the 3 mentioned above I'd like more tech info.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

No I don't have a source for all of the torque settings, ring gaps and 1001 other little details unfortunately. Where is a good source for the factory manual?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to smokintr6
Send me an email
ryan.miles1@yahoo.com
Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
No I don't have a source for all of the torque settings, ring gaps and 1001 other little details unfortunately. Where is a good source for the factory manual?
Bentley prints a small Technical Data book for the 964. It's a good source for all this information and it's not all that expensive. Our host may carry it, or check all the other usual sources for auto books. Also, many years ago I bought the factory seven-volume 964 workshop manual in CD format from a guy who sold them out of Canada, Vancouver I believe. Unfortunately, I don't find the factory manual particularly easy to use and it assumes that you have ALL the factory manuals going back to the 901. I tend to rely on the little Technical Data book more than anything.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

ord'd me a Bentley technical data book on Amazon used. Will be organizing my workspace and pulling together my list of sealants and ordering up the final missing items. My Pfixit 964 rebuild dvd should be arriving soon too.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
ord'd me a Bentley technical data book on Amazon used. Will be organizing my workspace and pulling together my list of sealants and ordering up the final missing items. My Pfixit 964 rebuild dvd should be arriving soon too.

I've not seen the Bentley technical data book. You should also attempt to source the OEM Porsche Tech Data Book. It's the little 3x5 book that is model specific and holds all the technical data on the engine and other mechanical parts. They have historically been very accurate. The problem with after market manuals is that there are editing errors in many lf them. Wayne's book is superb but does have a few dimensional errors in it.....though very few.

The Porsche data books may be out of print, but you can find them on Ebay or on Amazon. Expect to pay around $50 for one in good shape.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: