Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_cs View Post
Have asked the question of the engine builder, nothing forthcoming just yet. Would (Pauter) rod lengths in this case be considered intellectual property ?

Anyway, bottom end together back together (inc Gt3 pump, steel IS gears), will share more pics once received.

No.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Typically Porsche rods are avialable in a center to center lenght of 5.00 or 127mm if you like.
To figure this out you will need to measure from the center line of the case and add 1/2 the stroke and the rod center to center that will give you the reciprocating component to the center of the piston pin write it down. Measure the length of the barrel add it to the equation and subtract or first measurement from it that the difference minus your ascribed deck height will give you the Compression Height of the piston, figure what compression ratio you want (this is different than compression height) and call a good Piston manufacturer he will go over your figures with you and Wa La.
Basically that is how it is done.
regards
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Gents - i'll add more pics once the builder has sorted them onto a USB stick, however the work is largely done.
Some minor fettling required (proper oil catch tank) and a map tweak

Reminder of spec:
Gt3 crank
Gt3 pump
Pauter rods
AT Power ITBs
William Knight 5mm cams
993 plastic intake with resonance flap

All this on top of my current 98mm mahle/3.4 setup with motec/COP and SSIs

Performance is in a different ball park. Cams (circa GE100 spec) are not at all peaky and come in strong from 2750rpm. Pulls hard through 6k, and feels like it will still produce power 7k with ease (even with SSIs)

Still needs a power run, hopefully in a couple of weeks. No comparative before dyno plot, as costs escalated and i cannot afford to run it on the builders engine dyno.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Shirish,

Nice build!

What Motec ECU are you running?

Are you using Bosch 0986 221 024 CoP's?

Do you know what injectors you are running and at what pressure.

Love you neat manifold and ITB setup!
Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Hi Peter, thanks

Motec M84
COP - Audi 06A.905.115.D, unsure what Bosch equiv p/n is
Injectors - ASNU 300cc / 10deg spray pattern

I’m not entirely happy with the K&N filter/layout and may look to adopt a more traditional layout with a filter box in the future.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Thanks Shirish,

Yes they're the same coils.

Regards
Old 05-19-2018, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

So, i’ve recently collected the car after some rework.

The valve stem seals were found to be problematic; it stunk of oil at idle and it was puffing smoke - all of this after a significantly expensive rebuild. Lots of oil consumption too. Sub-optimal, you’d agree.

A decision was also made to go twin plug with some additional Bosch CoPs, to accommodate some 11.5:1 JE pistons, cc’d at 11.65:1, to replace the 10.2 Mahle.

The final piece was to fit some ‘F Modell’ 42mm OD Eisnemann h/ex

Old (Mahle) v new (JE)

GT3 crank and Pauter 127.8mm rods:

New JEs fitted:

port matching on intake side:

All important Heet Sheets!:

Outgoing 993 intake setup:

Incoming Velocity stack setup:
Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Guess which curves are for which setup (thin or thick lines?

Both 993 and velocity stacks were dyno’d with the 11.65:1 pistons, twin plug and 42mm Eisenmanns.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Old 03-01-2019, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Hi Shirish, is that a TT muffler?
Early S member #1969
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo911 View Post
Hi Shirish, is that a TT muffler?
Hello Arlo, nope, it’s a DW Technik muffler.

On a previous back to back test dyno test, it delivered 6bhp more than a Dansk 2in1out.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Ah yes, Dieter does amazing work! I had one of his mufflers on my 3.2. Awesome sounding too.
Early S member #1969
Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

So, which intake made big lumpy power?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2019, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixed76 View Post
So, which intake made big lumpy power?

Stacks are the “lumpy” curves.

Surprised me though. I was expecting a stronger torque curve with the plenum; it’s flatter but not much stronger.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Surprises me too. I expected the stacks to be lumpier, but the plenum to give more ultimate power.
Dan

Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Looks like a nice build with some nice dyno numbers to show for it!

I'm curious to know the cam grind if you are able to share. A few posts back you mention a grind 5mm grind similar to GE100, but I'd think a GE100 wouldn't be very friendly for anything other than all out racing. Maybe yours is something a little milder?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
Looks like a nice build with some nice dyno numbers to show for it!

I'm curious to know the cam grind if you are able to share. A few posts back you mention a grind 5mm grind similar to GE100, but I'd think a GE100 wouldn't be very friendly for anything other than all out racing. Maybe yours is something a little milder?
Probably best you contact William and mention my name.

I believe this spec is his default now for all 3.2 and above with ITBs
Old 03-06-2019, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Nice build! SO neat that you can piece these things together from the parts bin and come up with such a fantastic powerplant! I have a GT3 crank in the basement....

Any comments/feedback/opinions on the Eisenmann HE's? They look good, the little we can see from the pics - the secondary pipes look like they might be a bigger diameter than the the SSIs?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo911 View Post
Ah yes, Dieter does amazing work! I had one of his mufflers on my 3.2. Awesome sounding too.
Yes agreed, I had one of Dieter’s on my 88 911 CS back in 2004, I loved the sound it made but this is significantly quieter. Must be Swiss spec
Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Nice build! SO neat that you can piece these things together from the parts bin and come up with such a fantastic powerplant! I have a GT3 crank in the basement....

Any comments/feedback/opinions on the Eisenmann HE's? They look good, the little we can see from the pics - the secondary pipes look like they might be a bigger diameter than the the SSIs?
The GT3 crank is a thing of beauty to behold, and to think it is (was?) less than half the price of a new 3:2 crank.

I can check the OD of the Eisenmanns this weekend. Overall quality was excellent, although there as an alignment issue with one of the outlets - an hours labour to slice and re-weld.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: