Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newbie question - Marking engine parts

Looking to rebuild my motor.. plan to just fix some leaks but will need to strip down to the case. So my first silly question - how do you mark each component so you know from which spot it came?

ie, cylinders, 1 - 6
pistons, 1-6
heads etc

A marker pen is just going to rub off with oil etc.. should I buy an engraver and mark a non-critical surface of the component?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I use a punch to put one to six marks on the components.
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 07-07-2016, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't like to use a punch on critical components like rods and rod caps. I just use the marker pens and keep a supply of pens near the workbench if I need to re write the legends. Plus I have a large amount of labelled plastic containers that I picked up the dollar store. As far as marker pens go, I was just at an office supply store and noticed all the different types of marker pens now available. They even make Sharpee pens that use paint instead of ink for a really permanent marking.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Plastic bags, Sharpee and a ton of photos while taking everything apart should help you keep everything organized for going back together

'89 CARRERA
Old 07-08-2016, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. Engine is now out and gearbox separated.. the crud in the bellhousing is disgusting.. I assume its a special blend of clutch dust and engine oil from the weepy main seal.

Haven't pulled one of these apart before.. there are a lot of wires cables, hoses etc.. Not sure if there is an accepted order of disassembly of the ancillaries?

I plan to take tonnes of photos and document what I take off and when, in the hopes that assembly is simply the reverse.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
I just made sure the parts were balanced and sized uniformly. Then it didn't matter how they went back together. The only exception was the pistons and pins, which were weighed and assembled so that all six pairs were equal weight (or close enough).
Old 07-11-2016, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
I just made sure the parts were balanced and sized uniformly. Then it didn't matter how they went back together. The only exception was the pistons and pins, which were weighed and assembled so that all six pairs were equal weight (or close enough).
I don't like to mix things up unless I know for certain that everything will be renewed. Usually at disassembly time, you don't know the condition of everything yet. For example, if the cams and rockers will be reused you will want to match rockers to the specific cam lobes. And, I would definitely keep Pistons, cylinders and rods matched. JMO.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Buy the plastic zip locks with the labels on them.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I am my 911's PO

Garage
my technique for valve train components:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: