Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Remote help needed. Anybody?

Hello. I'm looking for a new motor for my 912. I don't want to mess with the original motor because it's pretty low mileage and original to the car. I found a mostly complete 2.8L motor. It is disassembled but the major components are an Auto Craft case, Scat crank, Auto Craft heads, and JE pistons. It's set up for a dry sump system. I'm told the crank has been magnafluxed and the heads rebuilt. The JE's are new. I don't know anything about the cylinders except they're there. Not included are conn rods, induction or ignition.

I have some questions for the experts: does this stand out as a good or bad choice for a beefed up 912 motor?

What else do I need to find out about it?

Is there a kind hearted expert in Riverside CA who would look it over for me?

I'm attaching some pics with the permission of the seller.

Thanks very much to you all!

Steve Yeatts
Chapel Hill, NC

Old 08-05-2016, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Why don't you build a type 4 performance play motor?
My '67 VW bug has a T4 2.6L that puts out 180hp through a 901 (911) trans.

1976 912 came with a T4 engine.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Auto Craft and Scat, all good stuff. My concern would be the cost of finishing that thing up.
No induction, headers and heater boxes, camshaft, distributor, rods, etc.... Also a concern about routing headers around that oil pump, and what front pulley will fit on there. Probably a very small diameter, which slows down the fan. Also there is no oil cooler on the block, so a remote cooler along with a proper oil tank and all the plumbing. Then you have to fabricate all the tin around the perimeter of the motor, plus probably every piece of Type I tin that goes on the motor, including the fan shroud, to compensate for no oil cooler! Seems like an awful lot of work AFTER you spend $3,800 for what you see above.
BTW, performance Type 4 motors aren't cheap either, but it seems that this would be an easier and cleaner conversion.
Bob B

Last edited by NICE 69 S; 08-12-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Old 08-10-2016, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

All I can tell you is that I wish I had that motor cause I have some 912's I'd love to put it in
Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: