Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bottom Chain Ramp Loose

I'm installing new chain ramps. The bottom left one seems loose where as all the others seem tight. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is supposed to be.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-03-2016, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The long end of the ramp needs to face the gear. The long side has the lock on the rider bolt.
It sounds like you might have one in backwards because there is some play on the outer end of the 4 center rails.
Make sure you have the nipple end of the bolt showing through the inside of the rail.
Bruce
Old 09-03-2016, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It's definitely in the right orientation. The locking part is on the inside. Here's a quick video showing how loose it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-03-2016, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Took another look today. It seems like there is a ridge inside the that prevents the bolt from fully going in.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Chain rails installation.........

Matt,

Like what Bruce A. said, you should see the end of the mounting bolt approx. 2-mm out at the side of the plastic chain ramp/s to get it to locking position. See attached picture below:

This is a common mistake committed by people even with some experience. It is so easy to over looked this simple looking installation. If you could not slide the ramp/s from moving sideways, you have them locked in place.

Tony
Old 09-04-2016, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Tony. That's what it looks like right now. The back is locked in but the front moves around. None of the other 3 seem to do that.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-04-2016, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
You say bottom left, but from the video it looks like bottom right. The bottom right chain ramp is a different part number and is brown in color. 911.105.222.05.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 09-05-2016, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If I am facing the pulley side of the engine. The brown one would be on the right side. Correct?

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Yes that is correct. "The brown ramp goes in the lower right side of the engine. Also note that the longer end of each of the ramps points toward the nearest chain sprocket. the four ramps that actually mount in the crankcase halves point toward the sprockets on the layshaft, while the remaining two ramps point toward the cam drive sprockets" - Bruce Anderson 911 performance handbook.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Bottom Chain Ramp Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Yes that is correct. "The brown ramp goes in the lower right side of the engine. Also note that the longer end of each of the ramps points toward the nearest chain sprocket. the four ramps that actually mount in the crankcase halves point toward the sprockets on the layshaft, while the remaining two ramps point toward the cam drive sprockets" - Bruce Anderson 911 performance handbook.

I have it all correct then. The video is showing the bottom left ramp. The brown one is fine on the other side.

I tried a different ramp to see if the part was defective. But it's the same.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-05-2016, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Think I figured it out. I ordered all Febi ramps. But some of them have the Febi logo and some are blank. The ones with the logo seem to have a looser front hole (not the locking one) than the ones without the logo. So I swapped the position of the upper one which was blank with the logo one. They seem to be much happier in that position than the bottom. Weird. But at least it's good.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-05-2016, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Timing chain ramps.........

Matt,

I just installed the inboard timing chain ramps this morning and this is what I could share with you. The locking tab on the chain ramp is located at the long and pointed section (hole). This hole (at long section) is slightly smaller than the one at the other end. The mounting bolt will slide in with some persuasion and it fits snugly. While the other hole (ID) is on the loose side.

With the inner bolt in place, remove the outer bolt and test the ramp for movement. While you could swing the chain ramp up and down for the test, it should not slide left or right more than 1 mm. If it does, there is a good chance the plastic section that locks on the bolt could be cracked or broken. Just found one (1) cracked ramp today from the old set. It looks new and pristine but when installed with the inner bolt only, it wobbles side ways and further inspection revealed a hairline crack.

Summary:
The inboard chain ramps with only the inner bolts installed should stay steady and snug when you test it for upward and downward swing movement. And should not slide sideways (lateral) more than 1 mm and stay locked on the bolt.

Tony
Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Got it thanks.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: