Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Probably a dumb question, 3.0l to 2.7l?

There is a 2.7l car that I'm interested in, but I'm aware of the issues that may or may not be associated with that engine due to thermal reactors and such. The car runs fine now.

Can you swap all the parts from a 2.7l into a 3.0l case? Of course the normal machine work would still be done but if I like the rev happy nature of the 2.7l but want the stronger case, can it be done reasonably inexpensively?

I'm thinking that I could keep an eye for a 3.0l case, save up for the usual rebuild parts and reuse the internals, cylinders and heads from the 2.7l.

Be gentle!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The cylinder stud spacing is larger on a 3.0. 2.7 cranks are 6 bolt fly wheel and 3.0 are 9 . You can use a 2.7 crank in a 3.0 turbo case or 3.0 carrera case as they were made for a 6 bolt crankshaft.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They both have the same stroke so not sure that the rev happiness goes away for internal parts reasons.

Apparently boosting a 3.0 to a 3.2 displacement (known as a short stroke 3.2) makes them even more rev happy because that short stroke crank gets a bigger kick in the pants.

The crank stoke didn't became longer until the later factory 3.2
Old 09-08-2016, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you, that answers my question. Maybe I'll just go for a 3.0 car from the beginning.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

WIth my 3.0, at 5 grand all hell breaks loose!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: