Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Width of 1974 911 2.7 engine

Hello all,
I am going to remove the engine from my 1974 911 and I need to know exactly how wide it is. Reason is I have a 4 post lift in my garage and need to know if the engine will be able to be lowered in between the ramps on the lift. So I can just sit the engine on a stand, disconnect everything and then just raise the lift up with the car on it.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sc'bd
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
My 2.7 is currently installed in my '75. Eyeballing the edges of the engine tin with my tape measure yields ~36". Hopefully somebody who has one out on the stand and near finished can provide more accurate results.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Exhaust system.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgf View Post
Hello all,
I am going to remove the engine from my 1974 911 and I need to know exactly how wide it is. Reason is I have a 4 post lift in my garage and need to know if the engine will be able to be lowered in between the ramps on the lift. So I can just sit the engine on a stand, disconnect everything and then just raise the lift up with the car on it.
Thanks

Scott,

Depending on what exhaust system you have now installed. If you have for example a SSI, 36" would be a close fit. A set of straight headers (no heating) would need less than 36". What is the opening between the two flatforms? BTW, you need to remove the muffler to reduce the required clearance to drop the engine. A complete engine with SSI would need 36" (width) x 30" (length) clearance. If you move or turn the engine 90 (horizontal plane), you would need a much lesser clearance like 30" plus.

Tony
Old 10-07-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all for the info. My car has headers with no heater boxes on them so maybe that will help.
I'll go out and measure the opening on the lift today. Hoping it's 36 plus
Cheers.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

38" is what I estimate
Old 10-09-2016, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

how are you going to move the car forward or the engine backward in order to disengage it from the transmission? The trans won't drop out either, it needs to be moved toward the back of the car too.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: