Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ticking noise solved....

I had a ticking noise on my 911 race car engine. The engine itself is a 964 long block.
Happened on the passenger side only. Seemed to correspond to the RPMs, but hard to tell.

I thought I had a video of it -- but can't seem to find it.

Opening up the valve covers, redid the timing, put it back together, noticed it was still making the ticking noise. Subsequently found a cracked exhaust port on a cylinder head. Sourced a replacement head, had all the valves redone and put it back together.
Still the ticking was there.

Opened it up one more time, there was a slight leak with one of the rocker shafts.
Upon inspection, there appeared to be some movement of the rocker shaft. All of the shaft bores mic'd out fine, but one or two of the shafts were out of spec on the intake side.

Sourced 3 new shafts and some gt3 o-ring seals. Put it all back tother and
the clicking is gone.

Have an event in a few weeks -- will give it an Italian tune up and see if that is a permanent solution -- but she sounds the best I've heard since we built her up a few years back. Just in time as we are building up her 3.8 transplant.

Mike
1982 928 Euro 4 Speed Automatic
1975 911 RSR Replica Race Car
Old 11-01-2016, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Thanks for sharing Mike and glad that you were able to resolve the issue. If you have any DIY tech articles that you've written on specific fixes, check out the below link to become a DIY Project Expert. If we publish your article, we'll give you 10% off your next order.

DIY PROJECT EXPERT SUBMISSIONS

-Dmitry
Old 11-01-2016, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: