Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil issue? 3.6 conversion

I have recently (last monday) finished my RSR-ich build, only took me 5.5 years... Finished is a strong word, there is still a bunch of things to do.
Its a 1969 widebody car, g50 gearbox, 964 3.6 engine, coilovers and a bunch of modifications...
This weekend I took it to the track for the first time, 400 miles after rebuild of the engine.

So to the issue...
I started slow, got a feel for the car, increased speed, harder on the revs. After a session or two in a sharp right hander after the straight the car laid a thick* smoke screen about 50 yards long, then the same in another right hander a bit further down.
I didn't notice this at all but I got called in to the pits immediately and was greeted by the rescue team with fire extinguishers...
But luckily there was no fire, no leaks, nothing.

So I checked the intake and there was some oil in there, I figuered that oil was pushed into the intake from the tank. I cut the hose between the intake and oil tank, plug the hose to the intake, and put a makeshift catch tank on the short hose from the tank.
I checked the oil level in the tank, it was right between MIN and MAX, I remove 1.5 liters of oil because I remember I put in 11.5 liters when I changed my oil last time and you never need to replace more than 9-10 (911 SC oil tank).

With this done next day I go out do some slow careful laps, start to push harder and pretty soon I'm flat out. I go like this for several laps, then out of the blue at the same spot another smoke screen maybe not as large as the first time, I don't notice it, still pushing hard for a lap or two no more smoke, I go into the pits, check the catch tank and there is not a single drop of oil in there.

How can the engine put out a thick smoke screen of oil without it coming from the intake?

Sorry for this long text.

*By thick I mean it obscured buildings, made those behind me break and switch on emergency flashers...
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Were you engine braking?Accelerating? Or doing a high-g turn at the time? No turbo I assume?

Air filter not doused in oil?

When you mix and match motors and oil tanks, a normal oil level is tough to guess. The dipstick may be way off...
Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
May be too thin oil on right turn getting sucked into valve guides...

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
subd,

how many oil coolers are you running and how much oil are you using?
2012 Lexus IS-F
Old 07-31-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Were you engine braking?Accelerating? Or doing a high-g turn at the time? No turbo I assume?

Air filter not doused in oil?

When you mix and match motors and oil tanks, a normal oil level is tough to guess. The dipstick may be way off...
Engine braking during braking, then on slight throttle during a tight right hander downhill that immediately turns into a left hander over a crest. Somewhere in this combination the smoke came, I didn't see it myself.

No oil in the air filter, not more than there should be. Should have said that I have an after market cone filter pretty much directly on the intake. No airflow-meter or MAF (using MAP and TP with VEMS ECU).

I've been thinking of oil tanks and its location relative to the engine. Does it really matter when its a dry sump? The engine might be slightly lower in the tub than what an original engine would be.
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 07-31-2017, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverc4s View Post
May be too thin oil on right turn getting sucked into valve guides...
10w60 oil, but way to much smoke to come from a missing valve seal. Valve guides are new.
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Levi- View Post
subd,

how many oil coolers are you running and how much oil are you using?
Just one Setrab in the front.
Total amount of oil, no idea.
As I stated after I emptied the engine and tank for an oilchange I added 11.5 liters (or quarts) to get middle of the dipstick which seems like a large amount of oil. Maybe the dipstick is for a different tank...

Before the oil change I had the car on a dyno for half a day with no smoke issue. I think it must be G-related and/or oil level related.
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

G-related, indeed!

I would revisit how the tank is mounted in the chassis. You will need a catch can, for certain.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-01-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
G-related, indeed!

I would revisit how the tank is mounted in the chassis. You will need a catch can, for certain.
Catch can, check!

The tank is a stock SC tank in the original position. Is that suficient or is there some additional trickery I need?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
gduke2010

Garage
I usually, only add 8-8.5 quarts when changing my oil and warm with the engine running, the oil is only 1/16 - 1/8 above the bottom mark on the dipstick. I have 2 oil coolers in series, the original cararra cooler and a front mounted Setrab. My car is a 1985 911 with a 1995 3.6.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Oil issue . . .

You may still have had oil in the intake system from the first two smoke events.

We had this issue before adding a catch can back into the breather hose to the intake - in fact
there was a large amount of oil that drained into the #3 cylinder during a 2 month pause running the engine.

Also agree with only filling the oil tank 1/2" above the low oil mark on the dip stick - when the oil
temp is above 180F and the oil line thermostat has opened to circulate the oil to the front oil
coolers.

Our oil tank is the original 1978SC tank in original location.

Regards,

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! Good to have some data points on the oil level.

Yesterday I plugged the intake that went to the oil tank before more permanently (than duct tape) and I will build a catch can of something better than a flimsy PET water bottle...
Fitted the proper oil temp sender on the engine for my 69 instrument cluster. Hopefully it will now show the correct oil temp.
Also need to fit a proper oil pressure sender, because I'm not really sure about what pressure I'm seeing. Most of the time It's probably double (which I think is "right" for this combo) but sometimes it pegs at 10 bar and that's more than what is correct.

I'm gonna run a trackday in early september that I know have some high g right handers. Trial and error, see what happens. Maybe a trackday on a small track late august and an auto-x/slalom next weekend.

The car, but lacking the gold-stripes that I'm in the process of adding right now.
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 08-02-2017, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Keep us posted please
2012 Lexus IS-F
Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Levi- View Post
Keep us posted please
Mostly unresolved.
The car has been out of commission since early 2018 due to a transmission issue (leading to a rebuild), but its all together now.
The engine started last weekend for the first time since transmission had to come out.
It had developed fuel leaks (yes multiple) and possibly it had fuel starvation issue (I hope). So I changed out some fuel lines and installed a fuel surge tank in the smuggler compartment. That was really tight and didn't really fit, but I have no lid on it anyway.

Hopefully I can get it out on the streets in a few weeks and on to some track/auto-x runs later.

924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: