Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Figured I'd pull the fuel tank and check it out- wouldn't want a bunch of rusty crud messing with my eventually rebuilt motor. Glad I did!

I thought it'd be a simple job, but the weather stripping-like sealant foam between the trunk and the tank was super nasty to deal with. It had me double- and triple-checking that I had removed all of the hold down clips/bolts, because it really held the tank down! I put a floor jack under the tank to try to break the adhesive grip, and nearly got both front wheels off the ground before seeing any play. Eventually a sacrificial box-cutter blade into the sticky and tar-like adhesive broke it free.

Here's the tank, removed. You can see remaining strips of the adhesive foam. There's no record in the car's history of any work that would require tank removal, so I guess that's the original stuff; it's a goopy mess that won't be fun to clean up.

I spent an hour or so rinsing and flushing w Simple Green. Lots of rusty material came out, so it'll need some work. My plan is to have the tank professionally flushed and coated, assuming no major flaws are revealed.

Here's the fuel outlet "filter". Hard to imagine this working properly- it looks like it must have been restricting the flow in a bad way. I guess that's why Porsche went to the swirl-pot design shortly after this gen...

Glad to check this off the list!

Jake

Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...
Old 07-02-2018, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Great thread! Best of luck with your rebuild and note taken on what you show your daughter!
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 2.4 , mfi , rebuild