Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cam Thrust cover failure.

I have a 1984 3.3 Turbo engine which has a pretty significant oil leak coming from behind the right chain housing. I believed the issue was a leaking gasket or o-ring from the cam/chain housing. upon investigation, I found that there was a significant crack all around the cam thrust cover (930.105.196.00). I will be replacing this cover, the O-ring and gasket. My question however is root cause. The only thing I can think of is if there is excessive play in cam that caused the housing failure. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there anything else I should be looking for? Bellow is a shot of the crack.

Thanks for any input.

Keith
Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Make sure the cam sprocket is on the right way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

HI Keith

I take it you have the engine out,

I would take the rest of the rockers out of the damaged side of the engine and make sure the cam turns free, as it looks like the cam has been run into the back of the cam box tight, the cover/seal has been fitted and then everything tightened up , putting strain on the case cover by pulling the tight cam back into position,

or the heads have been built up and the rocker gear fitted, then all the head,cam box, rockers assembly fitted to the rest of the engine, with the tension on the cam from the rockers fitted dry, also the cam may be tight in the cambox as it could not be checked with the head/cam all built up, it would take some pull and strain on the seal plate to get things lined up again.

just my 10 peneth

regards mike
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hi ..is there any history we do not know about? Like the engine has been worked on recently?
I would definitively suggest to check parallel alignment of timing chain sprockets...
Ivan
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check your sprocket wear. It may indicate there is an incorrect number of shims under the cam drive sprocket.

There shouldn't be any real
Thrust on the cam. But maybe, there was too many shims and the chain exerted a force pushing the cam into the head

The crack looks pretty big. Someone use a big hammer to get the woodruff key out?!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
as i said above you have to do this...either you or someone had to switch left shims to right and vise versa ..what is the history?
Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 12-12-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Old 12-12-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: