Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Neil knows what he is talking about and you should listen to him. From my perspective as an engine builder, it's false economy to not re-ring the motor while you have it apart.

In fact, I have never EVER done a "top end rebuild" whatever that is. When I have the case sitting on my tear down table, I ask myself:

- what do the rod bearings look like?
- what do the main bearings look like?
- What is the condition of the oil pump o-rings
- does this case leak anywhere on the parting line?
- Are the squirters blocked or free?

If I cannot answer the above questions to my 100% satisfaction, it ALL comes apart. Doing it right is more important than doing it cheap. And once the whole thing is rebuilt you are looking at 100K miles of trouble free driving.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
The rings move. A LOT. I posted on here (maybe 930 forum) the ring gap positions after about 1-2 hrs running. For some reason I had to tear the engine down again. I think I was trying to cure an intermittent smoke issue, and changing parts out til it went away. The ring gaps were totally random. Altho I still feel compelled to line them up properly, I doubt it makes any difference.
As for honing, when I do a tear down and re-ring I always scotchbrite the cylinder - we are trying to remove glaze? Unless someone tells me this is not necessary either. I'm happy to take short cuts if they are proven to work (Neil?).
Regards
Alan
Scotch-briting the cylinders just deglazes them. You're not going to hurt the nikasil.

If you have access to an ultrasonic parts washer, that will do most of the hard work cleaning the parts.

Like Neil stated, you need to check the bores for ovality, taper, and surface finish to be 100% sure they are good for re-ringing.

Most modern engines have the 2nd ring pinned as the 2nd piston ring is also commonly referred to as the 2nd oil control. I've had good luck with using Total Seal's gapless 2nd rings in applications with nikasil bores and low tension rings, where pinning the 2nd ring isn't an option. This typically eliminates the occasional smoking at startup and reduces oil consumption.

There are some instances where the gaps on new rings are larger than desired, so again we turn to Total Seal for gapless rings as a prophylactic measure to correct for large end gaps.

'99 Boxster powered by Flat 6 Innovations; '10 Cayman S (DFI testbed)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Years ago I worked at Andial in the race engine dept. My primary responsibility was to dyno test each engine. This was towards the end of the 962C and the very beginning of the then to be (still born) Carrera cup days. I sat shot gun to Alwin Springer testing every engine built there for racing. An interesting time to say the least.

There were 3 other engine builders. Rick Creedon, Steve Becker and Eric Bloss. I have remained friends with both Rich and Steve and occasionally would see Eric when I went over the PMNA. In fact, Rich and I worked together for many years, helping me start Performance Developments back in the early/mid 90's.

We are about to start the rebuilding of a mid 80's 930 engine belonging to Rich. We have given Rich the use of the shop to do the preparatory machine repair work etc prior to assembly. Its great to work together again on a project that allows us to bring up the old days. We laugh and joke about the days at Andial and the many comical situations that occurred.

I have spoken with Steve and hopefully will get in touch with Eric and invite him to along with Ralph and possibly Dieter to join us in the assembly process. It would be a great reunion and an opportunity to re live those days.

It is hoped that we will film this and make available the assembly process, how we do it and possibly help those on this forum learn something.

Maybe we can answer some of the questions and remove some of the doubts often brought up here, including the original question here.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Nice. I will be waiting to see the video of this reunion.

Maybe a thread here as well to document?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Years ago I worked at Andial in the race engine dept. My primary responsibility was to dyno test each engine. This was towards the end of the 962C and the very beginning of the then to be (still born) Carrera cup days. I sat shot gun to Alwin Springer testing every engine built there for racing. An interesting time to say the least.

There were 3 other engine builders. Rick Creedon, Steve Becker and Eric Bloss. I have remained friends with both Rich and Steve and occasionally would see Eric when I went over the PMNA. In fact, Rich and I worked together for many years, helping me start Performance Developments back in the early/mid 90's.

We are about to start the rebuilding of a mid 80's 930 engine belonging to Rich. We have given Rich the use of the shop to do the preparatory machine repair work etc prior to assembly. Its great to work together again on a project that allows us to bring up the old days. We laugh and joke about the days at Andial and the many comical situations that occurred.

I have spoken with Steve and hopefully will get in touch with Eric and invite him to along with Ralph and possibly Dieter to join us in the assembly process. It would be a great reunion and an opportunity to re live those days.

It is hoped that we will film this and make available the assembly process, how we do it and possibly help those on this forum learn something.

Maybe we can answer some of the questions and remove some of the doubts often brought up here, including the original question here.
What a story and what an opportunity to see the grand old masters at work - I'm sure it will be epic.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: