View Single Post

Garage
Thanks for the descriptive answers guys! Geoff, I am pretty satisfied with the webcam. I rarely adjusted valves on schedule, and now I'm guilt and paranoia free about that. The initial torque is strong, and it will wind past redline (actually waaay past, that was a scarey miss-shift). It is strongest at 3100 rpm, pulls untill about 4250, then comes on again about 4900 and want to run up to 6k really fast. I am pretty sure from the sound that it is related to carb synchronization. I mess with that pretty much, moving the "sweet spot" where they are really flowing together around in the rev range. I guess that wouldn't be an issue with FI. Does the FI have a pretty flat torque curve (in a stock motor)? So the 914 screwed together in Zuffenhausen wasn't any tighter than the Karmann ones? The 911 I have driven seemed more solid- like the BMW and SAAB I have owned. It may just be the mass.
I tried to hit a happy medium with my car. Do most folks go all out for ultimate handling? I guess that would be capitalizing on the car's virtues, but I have to drive on Alabama streets if I'm gonna drive it at all, so I didn't want to make the car into a bone crusher (I did that with a previous car, too- ruined my perfect little '73 2600 Capri. That suspension was so hard it started shaking parts loose). Does the BMW brake upgrade get close to 914 6 behavior. I haven't done that one yet.
Whats the beef with KYB? Should I go back to Bilstien? Konis are too $. OK, I'm just rambling now. Maybe someone else will chime in...

My gallery page
Old 09-25-2003, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)