View Single Post
Registered Minimalist

Garage
More on the tear down. I ordered the QSC P9191 tool off ebay. I used it with an ordinary deep socket and just went slow with a lot of leverage so as not to mark the cam bolt. It was suprisingly easy and I was expecting it to be much harder. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary as far as the sprockets.

Looks like a stock 3.2 Cams are marked 930 14710 and 14810
Chain boxes came off easy using a rubber mallet and some light taps.

Some wear on the chain ramps as expected. Of course I'll replace with new. I bought some for my 2.7 that I didn't use...are they they same?

Next up were the head stud nuts. Wayne says to remove the whole head and cam tower assembly. I was a bit worried about snapping some head studs, but I shot them with PBblaster and did a turn, and then a slight turn back, then a turn, then a slight turn back. This way I was able to break them all free with no drama.

The removed heads and cam towers:

There was some kind of sealant all over that crumbled. and fell onto the cylinders. It was orange and very brittle. This large rock like thing was jammed into the middle of #5. Carbon?

Left side bank was all oily

Right side has a cracked exhaust valve on #6.

And problem child #5 exhaust valve looks like it is not seated (low compression cylinder)

Inspected #5, rings are intact and cylinder bore is clean AFAIK

I did see this dried glue/goop - what is it? Is that normal?

I can see an impact mark on #5 piston top from the exhaust valve. Out of picture space so I'll show that in the next post.

More to come...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)