View Single Post

Garage
Thanks for your thoughts, Walt. I think manbridge is right about the trick of light. As beat as the cam sprocket looks in the photo, it looks prettymuch perfect to the naked eye. The idler teeth are a little more worn than the cam sprocket teeth, but it's symmetrical and it's nowhere near as worn as the one manbridge shows in his photo. That said, it makes sense, as others have said as well, that the bolts and tabs held the gear to the intermediate shaft. (I did find another loose bolt under the chain. Same as the first.) The second bolt was intact, with only a small nick on the threads. The first, pictured in the initial post, shows threads that are worn smooth on one side. So three tabs and two bolts. It's possible that there are still three bolts holding the gear to the shaft. And another bolt floating around somewhere. I'm not sure the chain was misaligned and the sprockets wore. The thing ran like a top: quiet, great oil pressure, great power.

Good idea about the leakdown! I'll give that a go.

In an earlier post I was off on my mileage: The cam sprockets, chains, cams, etc... have exactly 26,668 miles on them. (The po upgraded the tensioners probably 10k miles before the motor was rebuilt, so at least they're not all that old.) During the rebuild the oil pump was inspected, the oil cooler was tested, the crank was serviced and cross drilled at the #4 journal, new bearings throughout, etc... Cams got the 964 grind. New locking tabs were used on the intermediate shaft sprocket. Pics from the build show them properly installed.

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)