Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
xu1997

2010 335i N55 98,000klms spun bearing.

Hi guys, You win some you lose some.

Private sale last Sept 2010 BMW 335i 98K Company Director lady owner with full dealer service history. Beautiful, what could go wrong?

Like with all inspections the engine is everything to me, oil looked like honey and it sounded like the tightest free revving 6 I had ever encountered. Not a rattle, tight as a drum at idle and after a good rev.

Knocked about 4k off the price and Bob's your uncle !

After about a month I noticed a slight knock when I backed off sometimes but not every time. 4 knocks at most when you backed off the throttle say over 3000rpm.

I have heard a lot of big end knocks in my time but this was more like a rattle than knock and no noise whatsoever at idle.

I was leaning toward waste gate rattle but all the posts of waste gate rattle on youtube sounded tinnier.

As a dealer hater I took it to a BMW engine guru who revved it a few times and listened at idle and said " I can't tell what it is, it sounds like its on the right hand side where the turbo is but I haven't had any N55 with problems like this so far"

Ok I give in it's off to the dealer the car was sold at and had the full service record with.

They were good the service manager said "We just so happen to have a master service technician from Germany here with us so I'll get him to have a look"

I took him around the block and there was no way I could get the car to make the noise.

He said to pull over and just increased the revs to 1500rpm and there she was , a text book rod knock and constant.

He told me they were pulling down another N55 engine in the workshop and offered to show me the damage a spun bearing can do.

Every machined bearing surface was destroyed, crank, cams all scored. He told me the bill for this guy was between 26 and $30,000 aud.

I can remember actually feeling physically sick.

I think Rheinhold the master technician felt sorry for me because he said if I were you I would get the car home and diagnose it yourself by taking out the oil filter and cutting the ends off. Fan it out and look for copper fairy dust were his words. He added ' If Tinkerbell has been you will see your answer.

He also told me to look for a low klm write off engine and replace mine.

OK so it took a while to find one and get it transported interstate but its now it the car and I am just addressing some differences a 2012 series 5 N55 turbo engine has with my 2010 series 3 N55 turbo.

There were 4 main differences that cause headaches 3 are solved and one to go.

The turbo waste gate lever is different and the lever is at closer position to the vacuum diaphagm so the lever is a different length (see photos).The coolant pipe is now at a different angle so the hose to the water pump is 50mm short.

Fuel pump is upgraded in the 2012 model so the feed line is different back to the fuel line to the tank (Ordering series 5 feedline from Germany)

The worst problem is the connector to the HP fuel pump is different so I hope I dont have to buy a whole 2013 series 5 wiring loom just to get that connector.

Anyway any questions are welcoming on the engine removal and install

Cheers ....that was my introduction to owning a BMW

Old 04-11-2017, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
xu1997

Not a comment?? So not one person has had any trouble with an N55 engine spinning bearings??? So I am Robinson Crusoe on this one??
Old 04-17-2017, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: