Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.11 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Shannon Nunley

I am a very close Friend of Shannon Nunley. My name is Al and our relationship started over ten years ago, from the day we first when we were in Hot air ballooning, I can tell you there was definite intensity in the way he is. Through out our relationship Shannon would drag you into his life and make you a part of it, he did not do this casually but again with intensity. He would share his life most times with more details than you wanted to here but with such detail that you would always ask for more.

So here it is 4:30 AM and I can't sleep because he is on my mind and will be on my mind for quite the while.

It is with extreme sadness that I am informing you that Shannon Nunley is no longer with us here on Earth. As noted in his signature line on this forum, He went out with a bang.

On Wednesday afternoon after riding out to his favorite spot, Jake's Corner, with his riding friend Joe, they spent a few hours playing horseshoes. Shannon was very good at horseshoes as he learned to play this game back in Oklahoma, he kicked my ass the previous week, also at Jake's corner. After departing Jake's they were heading back south towards town when according to Joe, he entered a right hand corner but ended up going towards the left shoulder and towards the guard rail, it seemed to Joe that his pants snagged on the guard rail and separated him from the bike. I believe Joe is a member of this Forum and may add more detail later. In any event when Joe was able to get to Shannon he was not conscious and passed on quickly.

There are many of you that have experienced Shannon over the years either in person or on this forum, and so that it why I am using this to keep you informed and to share, I have many stories and am willing to share those, along with many pictures.

As I stated earlier our relationship is very close, so much that Shannon adopted my family as his second family, he spent the last several Thanksgiving and Christmas with us, again sharing everything he had. My 2 boys got an older brother, Shannon really enjoyed spending time with us, and thus my boys are crushed. The stories he would share with them would scare the hell out me, but that was just the way he is. He got to know all of the family very well and one particular female cousin extremely well. We will miss him greatly, he was very easy to pick on and we all loved the bantering with him. For those of you that were fortunate enough experience his cooking I can assure this was another one of his passions, at least once a week my wife and I were invited to his house and we hardly ever turned down this great opportunity for another great meal. He loved grilling so much that when he first bought his town home we bought him a new Coleman grill, then I went out and immediately bought the same grill so he could cook on mine, for when ever he was here it was his responsibility to do the grilling.

In many discussions we had, we talked about the strange relationship we had for, we were brothers and we also had a father son relationship, this relationship is the one that I never expected and have not had with any other, other than my own 2 boys that are now 13 and 15 years old. Shannon well appreciated all that I taught him on the technical details of motorcycling, we spent many hours working on his R1100S, of which I bought from him when he fell down on it with my niece on the back (thatís another story). We discussed relationships, work and many a subject, although there were many a time I would not agree with his perspective he opened my eyes to look at things differently.

Another thing we were sharing was the restoration of a 1974 R/90, Shannonís dad Noel, is a fixed wing pilot and performs the maintenance on his old piper cub, this was another joy that Shannon and his dad shared. Because of our relationship I have become very good friends with Noel. We are restoring the R/90 in Noelís garage and I hope we will finish this project together.

I was a major influence on Shannon riding motorcycles, and for many miles Shannon rode behind me learning how to go fast, I can assure you he was going to go fast whether he was riding with me or not. Shannon bought one of my bikes a 1995 Triumph trophy 3, this was the first year before they messed up the looks. For some reason he talked me into riding that bike when I owned it, this was not something I would normally do. I informed him that if he rode it fast he would not get to ride it for another year, well when he took off on it I heard wind out the first 3 gears thus going well over 100, he did not get to ride it for a whole year. I was almost killed on that bike when I was rear ended by a drunk. I ended up restoring the bike then selling it to Shannon, we both loved the way that bike looked. Shannon was later rear end in traffic on the bike and thus we sold it off that time, that is when he bought the R1100S. At that time he wanted the K1200 but I talked him out of it as I thought the K was too much and the R was the better bike to learn on, this was the better choice and he truly loved the R bike. We spent many a weekend installing accessories and performance parts on that bike and man he learned to ride it fast. He rode those tires to the edge every time, one of his favorites riding locations is Salt River Canyon between Globe and Showlow AZ, look it up and you will see what I mean. Well just last week we rode out to Salt River Canyon and met up with our buddy Charlie who also rides a R1100S. Well this was the first time we rode together with me on the R1100S and Shannon on the K1200, and for the first time I truly could not out run him, I once passed him that day going through a huge uphill right hand turn at about 120. I later informed him that his balls were definitely more swollen than mine, Shannon took great pride in that moment.

Shannon really liked sharing on this forum and so I hope many of you are not offended by me sharing here, if there is a more appropriate place I should be sharing this with please let me know.

Again I will truly miss Shannon and the light that he shared with all that he met.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good God. Say it isn't true.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all about this. Although we have never met, it is hard not to feel a huge loss over this. He has certainly brought a certain light and energy to this forum that I will deeply miss.

Can you tell us who we can send our sympathies to?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Oh Jesus no. I'm speechless. God speed Shannon.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Shannon

Thanks for posting about Shannon. I can't think of a better place to post than here.
I did not know Shannon but certainly enjoyed his post and since of humor. None of us like losing another rider.
Please accept my heart filled sorrow for your loss of a friend/son.

Going old isn't for sissy!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Dismembered

I never know Shannon except through his posts. Today I feel a lot older. The wet snow falling outside are tears for Shannon. R.I.P.
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
like others I'm speechless my condolences to you and his family

God speed Shannon .......raise a little hell up there
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This realy makes me feel sad and almost make me hate motorcycles.Thanks for informing us Al and I wish you and all people close to Shannon a lot of strength for the days to come.I always enjoyed his posts on the forum and are realy gonna miss him.

'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 250 i.e.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm crying, and I don't know what to say.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't freakin believe it. I was able to spend time with him before Christmas when I was in Phoenix. We had a blast. He was gonna meet up with repoe and I and go to Laguna. He had already bought his tickets and was gonna be in the mix with us. $hit I can't believe it. repoe and I were just talking about shannon tuesday night and i was gonna call him this weekend. Haven't talked to him for a month or so..........Dammit this just sucks

I'll miss you man. Glad I got a chance to spend time with you, see ya on the other side I hope......
2006 Husqvarna SM610
2011 Beta 300 Trials/74 Suz RL250/71BSA250Trials
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Al,
This is the perfect place to post this news...as terrible as it is. You don't know it, but this forum has an element of family to it....we discuss, we fight, sometimes we get rowdy, lots of time we post with our tongue in our cheek, but always we share and respect those who "live" here. Shannon was the brother I never met although I felt I knew him from his posts.....and this is awful news. I will greatly miss his attitude and his humor....God speed Shannon, Brother Biker.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Shannon's parent are Noel and Jill Nunley

Nunley Noel
15001 N 23 Av Phoenix AZ 85023

I will be with them today taking care of the business side of this. Not sure if they are religious and will have a memorial, but I plan on having a memorial party at my house soon and will let you know.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Many talk about living life to the fullest--taking on whatever life has to offer head-on but few really live those words.

Godspeed Shannon
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

For those of you that planned on meeting Shannon at the USGP in Moterey, I have a ticket and would like to meet when out there
Old 03-17-2005, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Another picture of the 2 of us

If any of you have pictures from your time with Shannon please share
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Friend
For those of you that planned on meeting Shannon at the USGP in Moterey, I have a ticket and would like to meet when out there
i was one of the guys he was to meet up with in Salina, NV enroute to CA. you are welcome in our group and we WILL have a drink to him.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I woke up to this here in Ca at 0545 this AM, this is very sad news.
I have become friends with the Nunster over the past year or so and we would have been riding together this spring/ summer.
This is very bad and sad news.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear about this. I did not know Shannon except through this and other forums, but he made me feel like I knew him a bit, and he never failed to make me laugh. I can't believe it. What a loss, this is awful. I'm going to miss him, and my condolences to all who knew him. Take care wherever you are, man, you certainly lived.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yep, Shannon had a spot in one of my rooms for Laguna. It's not gonna be the same without him. I just keep thinking about sitting out on his driveway talking about MotoGP and all of the fun we were gonna have. Looking at the Aprilia poster in his garage and giving him $hit about it.......talking about life, girls and politics. Dammit.

Al, I know he thought alot of you. He told me alot about you and how you are riding buds and his second family. I truely feel for your loss. Hope to meet you in Laguna.
2006 Husqvarna SM610
2011 Beta 300 Trials/74 Suz RL250/71BSA250Trials
Old 03-17-2005, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Thank you so much for sharing with us, Al. I'm glad someone who knew him as well as you did was able to convey to us the man we mostly knew as a great character who made this board and bmwforums such a nice aspect to our motorcycle passion.

What you say about him rings so true to my limited experience knowing Shannon. He 'dragged' me into his life recently to meet him at a midway point between SF and Phoenix to go riding before he found a new job. We only knew each other casually for a few months, and I believed I had a new friendship that would be a lifelong one. Well it was, and it breaks my heart to see this happen.

I brought some good wine to our trip, and Shannon made sure we got right to it. I remember him telling me he had a buddy who lost his life on a ride. Coming down a mountain road, his friend was behind him one moment and then gone the next. He had not made a turn as Shannon did, but crossed over into oncoming traffic and things ended instantly. Shannon was very torn up about it and said he almost quit riding as a result of the loss of a friend like that. But he moved on and stayed with the passion.

Now it's our turn. Goodbye, Shannon. You'll be missed very much.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Dont taunt happy fun ball

Send a message via AIM to AndrewA
My deepest condolences to you, his friends, and his family.

Although I never had the fortune to meet him in person, I did consider him a good friend.

Shannon left a mark in this world. He will be missed.

God speed Shannon.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: