Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AFM weekend at Infineon

Chris and the boys took the Moto ST R1200S to Infineon this weekend to do a little fine tuning on the suspension. The latest R1200S Chris is building for sprint racing, affectionately called the "Bomb bike" was not used as the Motec black box has a glitch, a new one is on the way.

Did a lot of suspension tweeking on Saturday and raced their hearts out today, Sunday.

It was an AFM weekend.

Races entered

750 Superbike..........1st place
750 Production.........1st place
Open Twin, two 1098's were in the race plus a bunch of other hi dollar twins
.............................1st place again
Formula Pacific....full race 1000GSXR's, etc. Started in 24th place and finished in 8 place.

Chris figures that the "Bomb" bike would have finished 3rd or 4th in Formula Pacific.

Brian Parriott did the riding.

Not bad for for a bike that some keep saying is not a true sport bike.

www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

That's very impressive for an R1200S that has what, 5-6 more hp than stock, right? When Chris estimates the "Bomb" bike would finish 3rd or 4th, where in the grid is it starting? Where does he think the MotoST bike would have finished if it started in the 1st or 2nd row? Any idea where the 1098s finished? Some here think that's the ultimate performance twin. I read an article in one of the mags that said they got better lap times out of a 999S. Admittedly, Brian Parriott is a higher-caliber rider than the AFM guys.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Carlton
That's very impressive for an R1200S that has what, 5-6 more hp than stock, right? When Chris estimates the "Bomb" bike would finish 3rd or 4th, where in the grid is it starting? Where does he think the MotoST bike would have finished if it started in the 1st or 2nd row? Any idea where the 1098s finished? Some here think that's the ultimate performance twin. I read an article in one of the mags that said they got better lap times out of a 999S. Admittedly, Brian Parriott is a higher-caliber rider than the AFM guys.
The R1200S that was run this weekend was essentially stock (no engine mods) and produces less than 118 HP to comply with the MOTO-ST rules. I don't know where in the grid Chris figured for his 3rd or 4th place Formula Pacific estimate, but I can say that Brian could like have started in the same spot as today (24th) and gotten closer to the front. Against bikes like GSXR 1000s, Brian makes up time in turns and on the brakes, rather than in the drag race. In the AFM Open Twins race, the Ducati 1098s finished 2nd, 3rd and would have been 4th as well but one of them crashed near the end of the race. As for Brian being a higher-caliber rider than the AFM guys... it's true that Brian is near the top in skill level, but there are other fast guys. One of the 1098s was ridden by a racer named Tom Montano - there's a small article about Tom in the most recent Road Racer X magazine. So, AFM has it's fair share of fast guys. Don't get me wrong though - I'd choose Brian over the rest any day.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I've heard good things about Tom Montano. Didn't he used to race for Munroe Motors in SF? Also, did I hear something about him riding for SJBMW?

I just noticed Tim at SJBMW is managing Brian's website. Good deal!

http://www.bp46.com/

Last edited by Steve Carlton; 05-27-2007 at 09:08 PM..
Old 05-27-2007, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tom prolly is riding, I have not heard from SJBMW pinciple since VIR. Not a word since being in the hospital, no big deal, obviously. I get more info online. Well hey, if Im not 100%, I want them to win. The same team I told AG, "nope cant do Barcelona on the new bike, cause I have to help salvage a championhsip at home that same weekend...." Thats where my loyalty is.

They wouldnt know how Im doing if they don't even ask! Just a due diligence conversation is all I ask for, lol. I do not think there is anythig wrong with a back up rider, but there is no real way of knowing if I will be up to speed until VIR.

N8!

Last edited by N8Kern; 05-28-2007 at 07:58 AM..
Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi N8, how's the knee infection and the wrist? Are you doing any PT for the muscle loss? You'll be there soon enough. Your talent is a known commodity.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Carlton
Also, did I hear something about him riding for SJBMW?
You might have read it in the December OTL. He was one of the riders for Nate's R1100S that SJBMW entered in the MOTO-ST GST class last fall. Unfortunately the engine broke at the end of practice the evening before the race. He and Craig McLean were doing pretty well considering they were new to the bike.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dean,

Thanks for the update on Infineon. I was out of town or I would have gone. Brian is riding REAL well against the competition up here.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Please understand that I am not in any way trying to cause a problem or to disparage Nate in any way, but Chris had a conversation with our team mate Nate while he was in the hospital. I talked with Chris today and Chris said that N8 was quiet groggy. I would speculate that the sedated N8 doesn't remember the phone call, totally and perfectly understandable. The entire San Jose crew is pulling for Nate and sincerely wishes him the best. Brian has called him on several occasions.

Nate, hang in there, get well, we are pulling for you.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Having seen Nate race many times, I'm very much looking forward to seeing him back soon on the bike, and I have a feeling he'll be surpassing his personal best when he returns. He is most definitely a major, important component on the San Jose team. I'll never get out of my mind the scene of Nate, Brian and Stephane hoisting their helmets in the air after that magical 8 hour race last October. The best is yet to come, N8!

Tom Montano did really well at Infineon a couple of weekends ago on Munroe's 1098. He's an experienced fast guy who's raced at Isle Of Man several times. Munroe is also a serious racing shop.

Notice the photo: Remus umbrella and Akrapovic exhaust. Bet there's a story there, eh, Nate?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi there PP gang! Is what it is, just a little set back that I have never experienced in my career, but not as bad as it could be. Just missed the SJ before they closed, will call tomorrow. I hope to be physically fit enough to help us win again in WI., but I will be the first to say "Hey Im not even 90%...." I want to win as bad as they do. Hopefully we will see. Im realistic, PT starts Thursday and Im not going to rush it. There are some big opportunites in the future, not going to waste them trying to make the body do what it's not ready to.
The 2 surgeries I had I think are doing really well, doc says Im on par, just waiting to see and MRI result.... tomorrow 8:30AM.

Cheers,

N8!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
No Info on (t)his member

Garage
Good luck, and heal well.

jeff
Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally posted by Deans BMW
but Chris had a conversation with our team mate Nate while he was in the hospital. I talked with Chris today and Chris said that N8 was quiet groggy. I would speculate that the sedated N8 doesn't remember the phone call, totally and perfectly understandable. The entire San Jose crew is pulling for Nate and sincerely wishes him the best. Brian has called him on several occasions.

ONE phone call in what, 4 weeks?... quite the show of apreciation, if you ask me! Especially for someone who lays his as on the line for you whenever it is needed...

It is not my place to mix in here, but that is just not how I would treat a member of my team, no matter how far away he might be!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

I :heart: drama!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by signit98
ONE phone call in what, 4 weeks?... quite the show of apreciation, if you ask me! Especially for someone who lays his as on the line for you whenever it is needed...

It is not my place to mix in here, but that is just not how I would treat a member of my team, no matter how far away he might be!
amen. What goes around comes around. I call or email 3 times a week just to check in. (on a cell phone it dosn't cost anything extra to call long distance)

04 R1100S track bike
00 R1100RT street
Twins Motorsports LLC
Old 05-31-2007, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

maybe I was wrong for stating a fact. No need now for a saga. I always tend to "empathize", different from sympathizing. Its putting yourself in others shoes. People get busy.....

Scooter, I hope your trip went well and that the baby, the wife, and yourself made it back uneventful?! Sounds like youse did.

Chris is doing an amazing job for his sister who has a new baby, if you dont mind me saying. his is part of Memorial day that just keeps giving. Chris's sister is being re deployed to Afghanistan and has taken over the duties of parenting his neice for the time of his sisters deployment. Flew to Germany and brought her back.

Your the man Scooter! Now get your head on for that first race you have been talking about at Roebling, I will be there buddy to help you out. I will be the pit b***h now, lol, since I wont be racing.

N8!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: