Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Open pipe cat only setup?

Just wondering if anyone here has tried an open pipe setup on the R11s with just the cat running. How loud it is and how well it runs. Also wondering how much baffling there is in the cat compared to the muffler because I know a cat only setup is possible on some bikes due to higher amounts of baffling in the cat.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Watch out the BMW noise Police are going to come after you. You can only do that if you are wearing your your safety green Aerostich suit.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
it will most likely run lots, lots slower.
it will definitely be loud enough to get a ticket within the first 100 miles. (or get you shot).
you might be shin-kicking the motor by running so short on exhaust. if'n i were a valve, i wouldn't like you much if you did that. i might try to vacate the premises.

why do you want to run naked from the cat back?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BMW Atlanta Send a message via Yahoo to BMW Atlanta
with the stock catalytic in place you could run no muffler and it would be pretty darn quiet, no much louder then stock. However if the cat is hollowed out it would be stupid loud. However the flow dynamics will be adversely affected with a straight pipe or no pipe after the catalytic.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
really bobby, that big old tuna can has that much ***** inside it?

man, am i glad i castrated mine soon after delivery.

surely the recently released research on cow farts vs. vehicle emissions shows that the bovines are damaging the ozone way more than my recently-rarely-ridden murdercycle.

and before any of ya peta-kissing-tree-huggin'-ozone-sucking zombies attack me....know this:

i EAT those cows. gladly. buy me a steak, i'll woof it down for ya. no problem.

....proud to do my part to cut down on ozone depletion.

actually, i turned the cat convertor into the recycle guys, and i assume it's now been transformed into thousands of Bag Balm cans.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bigred455
I was thinking of modifying a small car muffler like a single chamber 40 series flowmaster(even though i loathe them) to install in place of the cat. Then put a little shorty tip to kick the exhaust out off to the side in front of the back tire.

If you do decide to try this please post your results.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
with the stock catalytic in place you could run no muffler and it would be pretty darn quiet, no much louder then stock.
Doesn't quite jive with my experience of removing my cat and keeping the stock mufflers in place. The sound got "slightly" louder, with a bit more throat to it, but not even close to a Laser or other system with aftermarket mufflers. Based on this, it would appear that most of the muffling is being done by ... the mufflers.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

On the BMW parts fiche what people generally refer to as the cat is actually called the front muffler. Recently, I've been running a front muffler only setup on my 1150GS, it really is only slightly louder than with the full exhaust. The bike runs great, can't really notice a seat of the pants difference in performance. The reason I tried it was to put a full bag setup on the left side without spending $600. One thing I did with mine was to machine a small tip to match the same I.D. as on the stock muffler exit.
'04 1150GS
'01 RSVR
Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bigred455
Mark, do you have and pictures of your set-up?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'll try to take some tomorrow.
'04 1150GS
'01 RSVR
Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thx for the replies.

The reason I was asking about this setup is just to see all of my options as far as exhaust. The only aftermarket setup I can find in Vancouver is the Two Brothers Racing sets, be it cat eliminator or slip-on. The slip-ons start at 750.00 so not too cheap, but still do able. I was curious about the Cat only setup because I've heard of the success of it with the 1150 gs.

My main issues are that I want the bike to be a bit louder, no louder then an aftermarket slip-on or full cat eliminator setup, just make the bike a little easier to notice when I'm riding beside day-dreaming cagers here in Vancouver who never seem to look anywhere but staight ahead.

But as well, I dont want to lose any performance out of the engine. I'm not too worried about gaining performance although the weight loss would be nice.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Keep an eye out on EBay, you should be able to find a take off aftermarket system for $400-800 depending on the system. I'd leave it stock or go with the whole system as the benefits are minimal to do it half-assed IMHO.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

What I would love is something similar to this.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

hey coffey, I like that! looks like that's an RT or R? how's that sound and who's is it?

I've always been a fan of Buell's exhaust placement and have always wondered why it never caught on for the R bikes where it seems such a clean fit. I can only recall ever seeing one shot on some German website of a GS (maybe not the right bike for this application, but..) with an underslung can.

utilizing the cat re-gains a bunch of weight I've already disposed of, but that's such a retardedly elegant solution that I might just try it this weekend.... I have visions of reconfiguring the underseat area with a mig welder to make it actually hold something useful. go figure, but I'm actually used to the underseat storage on my RC51

cheers
carlos
Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscience View Post
I've always been a fan of Buell's exhaust placement and have always wondered why it never caught on for the R bikes where it seems such a clean fit. I can only recall ever seeing one shot on some German website of a GS (maybe not the right bike for this application, but..) with an underslung can.
...it's the length of the pipe that is the problem in this case... the resonating air... it is tuned to the engine... messing around with the pipes on our boxers can produce some really unwanted results...
2001 HD Sportster 1200S - 2005 R1200GS - 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lyon View Post
Doesn't quite jive with my experience of removing my cat and keeping the stock mufflers in place. The sound got "slightly" louder, with a bit more throat to it, but not even close to a Laser or other system with aftermarket mufflers. Based on this, it would appear that most of the muffling is being done by ... the mufflers.
I agree with John and disagree with Bobby. There isn't very much muffling going on in the cat. Running an open pipe is just too damn loud, whether it's a Harley chopper or a BMW twin. The cat may take the edge slightly off it, but it's going to be LOUD.

- Mark
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradzdotcom View Post
you might be shin-kicking the motor by running so short on exhaust. if'n i were a valve, i wouldn't like you much if you did that. i might try to vacate the premises.
ralf, i mentioned the close priximity to valves previously, but nobody else seems to have an issue with it.

i guess stuff like engine back pressure, heat transfer and sonic wave influences on 4-stroke motors is too old school. dang, and all that time i thought it was real info.

PS: hey Ralf, aren't you supposed to be fleeing the country in the next few days? Hiding in the Bahamas under an assumed name?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Stock Cat and Muffler weight in at 27 lbs.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Stock Cat and Muffler weight in at 27 lbs. Plus without dyno runs you are guessing.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Has anyone here actually heard a BMW 1100/1150 with only a Catalytic converter installed and no muffer???????????????????

While I am assuming the rest of you are strictly discussing theory, I have heard several boxers with oem Cat installed and no muffler. With Catalytic only installed it's not that loud, no where near as loud as my full Akra on my HP2, no where in the ballpark of my BC2 Lasers or the Ztechnik I've had installed, as a matter of fact it's not as loud as any full system I've ever tried on an R11S. This is far from a recommendation to try it, but I do have a buddy with a chrome slip-on dildo tip purchased from your local tex-mex parts store on the end of his 1150GS cat and no muffler. It works for him and sounds fairly normal compared to most aftermarket full systems which eliminate the oem cat.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: