Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wiring Zumo to switched power

I just recently purchased a Zumo 550 and I want to wire it up to switched power on my 04 1100S with ABS and heated grips. There is only a 2 amp inline fuse on the GPS so I was told I could wire it directly up to a fuse in the fusebox however I can't seem to find the actual fuses in the boxes, they all look like relays to me. Plus I am not sure what ones are switched or how to go about hooking it up that way.

So I was wondering if I could just tap into the positive and negative of the parking light bulb. I have some of those Positap connectors so I could just put one on the gray (positive) and one on brown (negative) that leads to the parking bulb. Then hook the GPS wiring into that and then I would have switched power.

Correct? Any suggestions or comments issues?

Thanks!
04 R1100S(Sold)
2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R Factory(Sold)
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ExarKunONe Send a message via Skype™ to ExarKunONe
Look on the other side of the bike for the fuses. If I remember right the relays are on the left and the fuses are on the right. The boxes look identical.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

One thing to note. My owners manual ('04 w/ ABS) indicated I had 2 fuse boxes, one on each side of the fairing. Upon inspection, I found only one (left side as you sit on the bike). I called the dealer and his documentation indicated there should be two. My Haynes manual had the proper documentation. You can find it here: http://r1100s.2zars.com/R1100S%20Fuses.pdf

I would discourage you from tapping into the parking bulb, but I'm anal retentive about my wiring (I'm an electrical engineer). I would consider tapping into that line to control a relay, but I would not drive the GPS from that line.

A Haynes manual will have wiring diagrams. It would be a snap to find a wire to tap into because it gives you the color codes for the wires. If need wire colors, PM me or email me wayne@2zars.com

I put a powerlet outlet on my upper tripple clamp for my GPS. Have a look here: http://r1100s.2zars.com/#GPS

If you're not into wiring, Eastern Beaver can hook you up with a custom harness, with or without a relay for a very reasonable price. Jim is in Japan, but his service is excellent, prices are very reasonable, and shipping time are good as well. I highly recommend him. I have no financial interest, just a satisfied customer. Email Jim and tell him what you want to do and he'll hook you up with a good solution.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/

Let me know if I can confuse you further ;-) Seriously, if you need more info, I'm happy to help.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well this is what I see when sitting on the bike

Left Side:

Right Side:
04 R1100S(Sold)
Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is the kit I was going to use to tap into a fuse.

However I can't seem to find a fuse to use or for that fact even a fuse. that is why I decided to go for the parking light.

If there is something better to tap into instead of the parking light I would love to know what wire(s) and where as long as it is switched.

I don't want to use a power outlet, that just isn't for me.

I am not an idiot about wiring but I just would like to make it easy as possible. Hence the turning off with the key and not using any relays. However where could I find a relay that small to power the Zumo?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
04 R1100S(Sold)

Last edited by klennop; 02-24-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK nevermind I am looking in the wrong place. I found only one fuse box above all the relays only on the left side. The cover of my fuse box says that number one and 2 should have 15A fuses however there are only 10A fuses in the outlets.

Also compared to the PDF you showed me, yours has slot F6 as a 7.5A but mine has a 4A.

Well as it looks, I don't have any "empty" slots in there so I am thinking I would be safe to tap into one of the positive wires before the fuses. Then ground it back at the battery only because I don't know of any grounds up front.

What do you think of that idea?
04 R1100S(Sold)
Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Look on the right side their is a fuse box with empty sockets for your connections
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 02-24-2008, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-RIDER View Post
Look on the right side their is a fuse box with empty sockets for your connections
Nope, I don't have any fuses on the right side at all. There is a metal piece on the right just like on the left side where the fuse box was mounted to. However there is no fuse box at all on the right side. Look at my pictures above, you can see the fuse box and the wires in the left but not on the right.
04 R1100S(Sold)

Last edited by klennop; 02-24-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You can tap onto the red wire going into the top left 10 amp fuse for switched power. I took a lead off that wire for switched power to my PIAA moto lights. Youcan have an inline fuse to protect the GPS and drill a small hole and use a selftapping screw on the foward frame for the ground point.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

well I went out in the garage and looked again memory isn't what it used to be!
I went out and ck'd the bike I have two fuse boxes one left and one right, the right
one only has one fuse in it!
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

there are indeed two fuse boxes

Old 02-24-2008, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbutt1 View Post
there are indeed two fuse boxes
Not on the 2004 and later bikes, only 1 fuse box with all 8 fuses. Also, they are the micro fuses not the mini's used on the older bikes.

klennop, I wired my GPS by installing a fuse box in place of the tire repair kit. Also my HIDs are fused (and relayed) there.

Curious why you want a switched power? I know the zumo has a battery but if it's on the bike why not use the bike's power? Presumably you would not park it for long with the zumo on the bike?
2004 BCR #36 (sold)
Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klennop View Post
OK nevermind I am looking in the wrong place. I found only one fuse box above all the relays only on the left side. The cover of my fuse box says that number one and 2 should have 15A fuses however there are only 10A fuses in the outlets.

Also compared to the PDF you showed me, yours has slot F6 as a 7.5A but mine has a 4A.

I'll check the fuse box later. My cover matches the pdf except for F6. My F6 shows 4.

Quote:
Well as it looks, I don't have any "empty" slots in there so I am thinking I would be safe to tap into one of the positive wires before the fuses. Then ground it back at the battery only because I don't know of any grounds up front.

What do you think of that idea?
That should be OK. Grounding at the battery is a good idea, frame is NOT.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sorry for all the confusion here about fuse boxes but like peterz and wood-d have both said, mine only has one fuse box. Also like stated the fuses are micro not mini ones.

As for why I want the Zumo switched, it is that just in case I leave it on if I stop in the middle of nowhere and forget to shut it off. I know if my battery is good and alternator is good, then I have a lot of time to leave it on, however there could be that "one time." Plus I can just use the battery then when the bike is turned off and I want to mess around with it.

So can I still tap onto the red wire going into the top left 10 amp fuse for switched power? I just want to be sure. I will just use a Positap on it and then ground back at the battery.

Thanks again for all the help.
04 R1100S(Sold)
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
...So can I still tap onto the red wire going into the top left 10 amp fuse for switched power? I just want to be sure. I will just use a Positap on it and then ground back at the battery....Thanks again for all the help.
You can get a ground from the aluminum frame right there where the fuse box mounts. Get glow bulb tester and touch one end to the side of the fuse input wire you are going to tap onto and the other side to the frame ground point. The key must be switched on and then the light will glow. Switch the key off to insure that the red feed in the fuse box is switched as evidenced that the glow light go out. you can get a tap on fixture from any automotive parts store. I seal it with RTV silicone for waterproofing because I'm OCD and water does get into that area.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The Easy Way

Quote:
...So can I still tap onto the red wire going into the top left 10 amp fuse for switched power? I just want to be sure. I will just use a Positap on it and then ground back at the battery....Thanks again for all the help.
You can get a ground from the aluminum frame right there where the fuse box mounts. Get glow bulb tester and touch one end to the side of the fuse input wire you are going to tap onto and the other side to the frame ground point. The key must be switched on and then the light will glow. Switch the key off to insure that the red feed in the fuse box is switched as evidenced that the glow light go out. you can get a tap on fixture from any automotive parts store. I seal it with RTV silicone for waterproofing because I'm OCD and water does get into that area.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

You should be fine.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry for all the confusion here about fuse boxes but like peterz and wood-d have both said, mine only has one fuse box. Also like stated the fuses are micro not mini ones..
Well, I'm not sure when they switched, but I think up through 2003 there are two fuse boxes that each have four larger (ATO, I think is the term) sized fuses. The left has the four for the main things (ignition, headlights, taillights, etc.) and the right side box has the heated grips. If the bike didn't come with heated grips, it doesn't have the auxilary harness and fusebox installed (as in my '99).

It appears, klennop, that they merged the two boxes into one and sized down the fuses to the more modern mini fuses. Weird.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: