Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
No try, do or not do

Garage
Highly Subjective Wossner, BST Ride Report

I got to ride my hopped-up sausage rocket today. Was it worth the effort and $, the short answer: **** yeah!!!

I decided to do a more spirited break in, partly because of things I have read, and because I think the factory recommendations are super conservative for a number of reasons, and mostly because the liklihood of me being able to keep it below 4000 rpm for 600 miles is pretty low, so I am glad there are advocates for the "break it in, like you are going to ride it" because thats just what I did, with the exception of the 150mph Route 80 wring out (I'll save that for a later day)

The bike jumps to life quickly, and seems quicker to start than before, not like the battery is struggling to turn it over, like it used to. I used to chalk that up to the high compression, but perhaps I was wrong.

One other thing I noticed was that prior to the upgrade, I always had the feeling it would stall out if it sat too long at idle, maybe thats an air temp issue or perhaps I need a software update, but either way it settled into a nice smooth 1000 rpm idle. I warmed it up for a few minutes, and headed down the road.

I took it easy for the first 10 minutes, letting the engine and tires warm up a bit, and then started to explore some higher revs, around 5-6000. It sounds a bit different, I can't really describe it, but it is more raspy, and reminiscent of a Ferrari. I rode about 20 minutes and stopped to look it all over, make sure nothing was leaking, and that the head pipes weren't glowing orange, and no bolts were falling out. It all looked good. I had actually stopped at an HD dealership, figuring that working on a bike in their parking lot wouldn't look odd. A grizzly looking Gnarley guy with a cigar stump between his teeth came over and looked at my bike and said "holy ****, what a beautiful bike" His first question was "is it fast?" which I assured him it was, he then commented on how it looked like a stripped down bike. We talked a bit about the virtues of big displacement twins, and he walked away quite impressed.

Back on the road, given that it all looked and sounded fine, I decided to start riding it like I normally do, which is goosing it up pretty good on the back road twisties in 3rd and 4th gear. The roads here in NJ are still a bit tentative with lots of gravel and salt, so I wasn't really pitching it in there" but I did get a good feel for the wheels. First, the wheels look like a million bucks (the HD guy noticed them right off) so I love em just for their aesthetic value, but there are other benefits. I was warned about how quick these would turn in, which may be the case on the R11, but perhaps not as pronounced on the R12. Although I wasn't really hammering the turns, I did get a sensation of a lighter feel in the steering, and an overall lighter feel to the whole bike. I remember how light the R12 felt after getting off the R11, this is another sensation like that although not the same order of magnitude. The front also feels noticeably lighter, which is probably a combination of the engine cranking a bit harder, and the front wheel being lighter. Are they worth $3K? To me they are.

Back to the motor. After I was sure it wasn't going to blow up, and there weren't any deep engine noises that made me think oh-$hit, I started to open it up, and explore that 5-7500rpm range. Here is the first impression YEE HAWWW!!! (highly subjective) The biggest thing I notice is how quickly it gets to the upper register, it JUMPS from 4000 to 7500 very fast! The overall acceleration is noticeably stronger, and the engine just feels really crisp. I wouldn't attribute a lot of this to the wheels either, but since I didn't do a run without the BST's I won't know for sure. The exhaust note change makes me think a lot of what I am experiencing is due to the engine, it feels faster, more freely revving and stronger.

I put about 100 miles on it today, hopefully I will get out tomorrow too. Next step, a dyno run and perhaps a bit of playing with the Techlusion, which worked fine BTW, even though I got a few recos that only an RBIII was going to let those high comp pistons work on pump gas without knocking. Do I recommend this to others? The answer is absolutely YES!! The piston and rod kit seems to be worth every cent, and the improvement is very perceptible. The wheels are a lovely bit of bling that are probably more important to a racer looking to shave seconds off a lap time, than a street rider, but they look b1tchin, and bring a lighter feel to the bike, and thats good enough for me.

Rock on brothers!

Last edited by shreddr; 03-14-2009 at 06:22 PM..
Old 03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I don't want a pickle

Way to go! I'm really looking forward to your dyno run.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds great, i would now recommend an oil change.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 03-14-2009, 01:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Sounds great, i would now recommend an oil change.
Sounds like a plan, thanks for your input on the project!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Great job. Isn't it fun working on these things. My rebuild was a great learning experience and very rewarding. How about a list of what you did, kind of like this.

Philip
"It's a great bike but I can make it better, then blow it up and then make it better again".

04 R1100S BCR # 195
03 R1100S BCR #44 R.I.P. new home with 'onekiwi'
102.3 RWHP (About 117 crank HP - 12% factor)
76.3 Torque
1150 cc cylinders
12:1 SJBMW pistons
BMW 36 mm intake valves
Ported and polished heads (just a little) by SJBMW
'07 R1200R cams
RC Engineering Injectors (370 cc per min) Not dynoed with these yet, stay tuned.
TBs bored +3 mm
Throttle bodies matched to rubber mounts matched to heads
SJBMW Exhaust Accelerator Kit (modified)
Exhaust pipe welds ground down
Laser Exhaust
Laser 2 spark Chip
InDuct
SJ PowerFilter
K's 3.5 bar regulator
Ohlins
Sargant Seat
Spiegler SS Brake Lines
LED tail/stop light and turn signals
Aux Fuel Tank (6.8 gallons total)

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddr View Post

I got to ride my hopped-up sausage rocket today.
Was it worth the effort and $, the short answer: **** yeah!!!
...congrats !!...

Triumph Speed Triple T509 955i + R1200S + R1200RT
Old 03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Good luck! And thanks for the write-ups. Like someone already said "post the dyno numbers".
Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Now ride a R1200R

Must be very rewarding. I'd also like to know the dyno results. I'm just wondering if the wheels with less rotational mass are responsible for the jump in performance. It would have been good to know the difference between both sets of wheels. If it is the wheels then it can be a cheaper mod.
Nice job anyway!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sheddr,
I'm very impressed with your work! Thanks for all the photos and posting the step by step action. I'm glad it turned out to be a rewarding experience. The dyno results would be nice. If you ever get the chance to take it to a drag strip, MPH through the traps will really complete the story.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to AZ-J
Astounding report, congrats on job well done, and I can't wait to hear about "the 150mph Route 80 wring out".

The other day, after getting new throttle cables with balance adjustment on cylinders in November, I took mine in to dealership because a week before on a trip, I had a lot of buzzing @ 90 mph and such, but none below or above. They re-balanced the cylinders, told me in four months the new cables "stretched-in", and said they are now balanced to 2mm. I drove home and in a 45 mph zone, came off the line to that bad speed with no buzz, and backed off almost as quick, until I hit a clear non-patrolled zone and did it up and down as quickly, all in a less than 3 mile run home. The bike now runs great!
My bike here:
http://tiny.cc/MyBike
Old 03-14-2009, 05:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Congrats Shredder!!!...I would be interest in side-by-side top gear roll-ons against a stock R12S.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
I just thought I would put an addendum to the ride report. I have put about 400 miles on the bike since the "start-up" and all I can say is WOW! I am loving this bike!! I find the front end coming up a lot more than it used to, a combination no doubt from the added power and reduced weight of the front wheel. During hard acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears the front wheel isn't even on the ground, it just hovers. Also the rush from 5000 to redline is nothing short of incredible, and it sounds so vicious! IT was a great bike before the mods, and its an even better bike now!

I have a dyno run scheduled for April 4th, and I have no baseline of my own bike to compare it to, but we do have some recent runs among the ranks so there will be at least something to compare it to.

One interesting note, is that the popping on deceleration is gone, I dont know if thats because it's still cool here and I am getting an added air temp sensor fueling benefit or what, but it is gone. I'm a little unclear on what causes that popping to begin with, hopefully this doesnt mean its running lean, but on the flip side there is no pinging at all from the higher comp pistons on pump gas, and I seem to be getting better mileage, so go figure. All in all, a highly recommended set of mods! Rock on brothers!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Sounds like you're having more and more pleasure from your labors...glad it's working so well for you.

When compression ratio goes up you should see better fuel mileage - all other things being equal. I experienced anywhere from 12% to 20% improvement in fuel consumption on my Airhead when going from the stock 8.5:1 to 9.5:1 pistons depending on how hard or easy I rode it. I left the stock camshaft in it too.

Higher compression ratio is why Diesel engines are so frugal on fuel consumption...too bad Gasoline doesn't have the same behaviour as Diesel when it comes to higher pressure.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Dazed and Confuzed

Might be true John (and you did say all other things being equal)....
But there's no way it'll be more efficient because shreddr will be gassing it all over town
hehehe. And who could blame him!
Ant
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:

WOW! I am loving this bike !!

One interesting note, is that the popping on deceleration is gone, I dont know if thats because it's still cool here and I am getting an added air temp sensor fueling benefit or what, but it is gone.
I'm a little unclear on what causes that popping to begin with, hopefully this doesnt mean its running lean
...after de-cat-ting the S, and after fitting the Lasers, my S popped a lot...
...and I liked it...

...but after my latest dyno-day, popping is as good as gone, due to the better A/F figures...

...it turned out the S was running to lean, after changing the hardware...

Triumph Speed Triple T509 955i + R1200S + R1200RT
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Shreddr -

I'm glad you got great results. You deserve it after all that work and comittment. Do mine........PLEASE!!!!!!!!
'09 CBR1000RR (w/pegs & bars, now my touring bike)
'10 S1000RR & '07 R1200S (gone, but loved 'em)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Mal, I am sure you could do it. MAybe get a buddy to help, but it was nothing out of the ordinary, not even that many specialty tools. If you got all the parts and made sure the clips and everything fit, then you should be able to do it in a weekend. Now on to the important question, when are you gonna post a pic of that K13?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Mal, I am sure you could do it. MAybe get a buddy to help, but it was nothing out of the ordinary, not even that many specialty tools. If you got all the parts and made sure the clips and everything fit, then you should be able to do it in a weekend. Now on to the important question, when are you gonna post a pic of that K13?
I knew that last question was coming. I'm just too lazy. You'll see it at the GMR because you WILL BE COMING!
'09 CBR1000RR (w/pegs & bars, now my touring bike)
'10 S1000RR & '07 R1200S (gone, but loved 'em)
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
I don't remember

congrates,
youre going to like those wheels more and more
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: