Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

West Australian Fires

We had a serious bushfire through our property yesterday

Homes destroyed, residents injured in Toodyay blaze - The West Australian

Toodyay declared natural disaster - The West Australian

Our house was still up last night but the property (trees) was still burning. We cant get to it and we got mum out in a fire vehicle at 10 pm. We had her missing for three hrs and checked all the refuges but she had gone back and was using buckets to put out fires around the house.

A lot of others in our road and area have lost everything.

We were in the town till late last night and it is devastating. Toodyay is a regular for bikers here.

We heard that 24 houses were gone looks like this will rise. Our house was under threat still when Mum got out.

We are waiting to get back in to see it. Our house was on TV as the neighbours farm/ hay shed was ablaze.

Graelin
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ghost Spoiler

Garage
Oh man, not good!!

I worked with a guy at the Midland Post Office who had bought a property in Toodyay and loved it out there. He had come over from England with his Mrs. Wonder how he got on? I lost everyone's numbers when my phone got washed...Pommy Rob, really tall, skinny bloke, he was trying to get a gig at the Post Office out that way. Actually I think there was another lass (edit - Sheena) from the Midland Post Office had a house out there too, she rode an R80GS, yikes I'll contact the Post Office when we get back to work on Monday.

Anyhow - keep us updated. Thoughts are with you and all affected

Last edited by chewie; 12-29-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear your troubles, what a lousy way to start a new year. I hope you guys get lucky, wishing you all the best.
LA.CA.USA
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ghost Spoiler

Garage
People wanting to donate to the appeal can log onto Bendigo Bank's website www.bendigobank.com.au or call any Bendigo Bank branch.

news: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/988740/temperatures-ease-spread-of-wa-bushfires

photo courtesy of ninemsn

Last edited by chewie; 12-29-2009 at 11:54 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very sorry to hear of this, Graeme, chewie.

If there's anything to be done, let us know.
2006 Ducati Sport Classic mono SOLD
1979 SCWDP #0020 Talbot Yellow SOLD
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Update

Now 37 homes are gone this is a small community and it is devastating, I spent many years working on bushfires and I never saw one like this. It has now hit us all emotionally and we see footage on TV of our neighbour tonight.

My Mum was lucky to have survived this when we see what has happened. We had a good buffer around the house and that probably with some very brave fire fighters saved the house. We havent been allowed back in yet to check it but believe its ok.

Graelin

PS Thanks Chewie

Last edited by Graelin; 12-31-2009 at 02:59 AM..
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Private Citizen

Graelin,

I hope you all make it through this and loss is minimal. Glad your family got out okay. I hope your home survives.
Note to thin-skins and panty-bunchers - please note smiley."
Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the wishes, I have been in the industry attending fires but this has got to us emotionally more that I thought.

We may get back in tomorrrow to have a look, think we were the lucky ones in our road

PN News Gallery Image Toodyay fire devastation | Gallery: Pictures from the Toodyay fires | Perth Now

Mum in tears seeing the losses of others tonight on news.

Graelin
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Graelin......Sorry to hear of the devastation but glad to hear that your mum made it out ok. From Google Earth, looks like you are not that far off of the Kalgoorlie road...

Brock

2016 S1000XR,2001 R1100 SA: Wunderlich Seat, Staintunes, Wilbers F/R
2004 MV Agusta Brutale S
1973 BMW 2002 Touring tii, '12 LR4, 86 Mondial 3.2 QV, 02 996 Turbo
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

This is one way to get to Kalgoorlie a bit longer than direct route.

We got let in today, our house is OK we lost all our fencing on five hectacres. A lot of garden has disapeared.

The disaster relief center we attended to make donations of food and water but in turn recieved much support our selves.

My work used to be attending emergencis and bush fires,.
Meeting those who have lost everything, seeing the devastation and the strain of the last few days is very difficult.

I actually got up early yesterday as I run a class on Emotional Management Techniques.8am till noon. Dont know if that stuff works, easier to do as I say lol!

We are very lucky but our lil town is devastated. We saw people who had just retuned to find their homes gone out there helping others. This town is a very special place but it needs help.

Our place

Graelin
Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All the best mate. I have experienced both my mother in law and my son losing their homes and all possessions to bush fires, so have some idea of what you and others there have been going through. Sounds like an interesting subject you are teaching, particularly with the recent events bringing a harsh reality to everyone. Stay safe.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

In 2006, wildfires torched a huge area of north Texas and southern Oklahoma. Hundreds of homes burned to the ground around us, sometimes you could see 2 or 3 fires going at the same time, and the smell was around day and night. Southwesterly winds of 35-45 mph made the fires impossible to contain for a full 2-week period. Our thoughts here are with you, as we know a little bit about what you're going through. Scary as h*ll. I live out in the country, and we disc harrowed a 100-yard perimeter in the pasture around our house, but during one fire that got close, we still had to be outside with water hoses and nozzles spraying down embers on the roof that carried well over 100 yards. Am not anxious for a repeat.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Fire are the worst. Our family lost everything in a fire in SoCal called the Panorama 1980 Fire. Near Devore, CA

You get through it, just takes awhile.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You guys that have lost everything, seen what you went through and devastating.

Update.

Mum moved back in yesterday and has been really helped out by the Disaster relief Committee.
We organised a motorcycle charity ride from Perth to Toodyay today. The 1100s lead the way with 50 bikes arriving in the town. We presented a trailer full of donations and $1900-00 to the Disaster Relief committee.

We let the residents know that the motorcycle community was supporting them and more rides are comming.

This Video Link is from the next intersection looking to our house being saved.

TOODYAY DECEMBER BUSHFIRE | Facebook

Graelin
Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Charity Ride for Fire Affected residents

Since the fire we have arranged motorcycle fund raising rides. The first had 50 odd bikes.

Today the Ulysses clubs combined and I lead a ride of 73 bikes into town.

A video of the fires, ride and handover of funds and a short talk from the Disaster Recovery Coordinator linke below.

Thanks to all for your well wishes they have been sorley needed.
Unfortunately Mum had a fall today and ended up at the hospital, possible fractured hand/ wrist.

Ulyssesfireride2.flv video by raineman5 - Photobucket

Graelin
Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

great vid, well done for getting the ride together, and posting - hope your mum recovers fast.
LA.CA.USA
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: