Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

LED Turn And Stop Lights ? R1100s

Hi,
Anyone have experience installing LED bulbs on their bikes? I would appreciate any input on my project outlined below.

I am thinking of installing these in amber, with the "alert" feature

Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

And these,

Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

For the front, if I install LED bulbs in the turn signals, they will mimic the lights on the fork legs, which is good given the road I'm going down.
Having done some research and given the position of the bulb in the signal unit and the fact the unit has a reflector I've concluded (rightly or wrongly) an omni directional amber LED like this one,

1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

For the tail/stop lamp I would like to use a LED bulb so it has the same "instant on"
as the Skene P3 lamps.
Any thoughts on the best bulb for the rear? They do make a high/low version of the above LED,
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There are several if not many plug and play replacement bulbs for the turns and tail. I went with a nice LED array with built in pattern flash for the stop light/tail light. I got it from a company in Canada , very bright and works great. I can dig up the company if your interested.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

LED turn and brake light

I am in Toronto, could you please let me know where in Canada you bought your LED's
Tasmin
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Turboflyer,
I am in Toronto, could you plese dig up the manufacturer of the LED's
Tasmin
Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Saw a thread over at Advrider.com .
I have no knowledge of this product.

V.I. Adventure Tech Ltd. - Flashback LED Brakelight safety.

$125 dollars, but I don't see any mention if the Flashback LED taillight was brighter
than a bulb.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a VI Adenture tech kit for my R1100S. Very well made, bright, simple to install and vary features, customizable (blinking). Highly recommended. (I personally hate riding behinds peeps with blinkers - almost as much as riding behind Droptarotter when he has his brake lights disabled - which is a lot).
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Question CAN Bus led for rear brake light

Has anyone tried one of the new CAN Bus led 1157 for rear/brake/stop light ?

The R1100S from 2002 to 2005 with Integral/iABS ABS is not Canbus but does
show an error light with a broken bulb.

1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower | S series | Specialty & Automotive | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Hey ya'll watch this

What's wrong with a normal bulb? Mine is almost 10 years old with nary an issue.

Midvale School for the Gifted
Class of 1990.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I got this one. Simple plug and play. Multiple flashing sequences or plain brake light if that's all you want. Much brighter than stock bulb. Highly recommended. No affiliation, etc., etc., etc.

@ tas: based in Victoria, BC.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryrun View Post
Saw a thread over at Advrider.com .
I have no knowledge of this product.

$125 dollars, but I don't see any mention if the Flashback LED taillight was brighter
than a bulb.
I just installed this system on my R11s. It took all of three minutes. Literally.

The light itself appears to be extremely well crafted. I was very impressed before I even plugged it in. I like that it's easy to change the flash pattern with the flip of a switch.

Most importantly - they work. The flash pattern is pretty impossible to miss. I'm very impressed.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Flounder :

Can I ask if your bike has ABS ?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: