Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anything I need to know about this weekend project?

Hey guys,

I am planning on installing new used Remus titanium headers on my "new to me" BMW R1200S this weekend, which still has the stock exhaust.

I am taking a trip on Wednesday on the bike, so I don't want to get it taken apart and then nob be able to complete the project and have to put the OEM headers back on. So in the spirit of "measure twice, cut once" wanted to ask these questions:
  • Are there any other considerations I need to know for this project? Like gaskets, or anything else
  • How long will this take? I expect there will be a little fiddling to get everything lined up on the stock exhaust, but I can't imagine it would take more than an hour to install this. AmIRight?

Oh one other question: Do I need to remove the rear exhaust to put the header on? if that's the case than it will take a lot more time.

Thanks in advance. I hope everyone is having a great summer.

Mullet
Bend, Oregon

Last edited by Mullet; 07-13-2017 at 04:07 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
It's easy. Should just be the four header bolts by the heads (2 each side) and the clamp below the bike. Undo the springs and you should be able to remove with the "cat-back" still in place. Easy-peasy.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Richen the fuel to air ratio. If you have a plan to do this already then never mind. Sorry I don't know about the other stuff.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMiker View Post
Richen the fuel to air ratio. If you have a plan to do this already then never mind. Sorry I don't know about the other stuff.
I heard that playing with the air / fuel ratio was not required with this setup. Does anyone know? I don't want to do this and then have the bike run poorly right before I leave on a long trip.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Just replacing the header and keeping the stock can up top should be okay with little ill effects. The stock muffler will surely be restrictive enough to where you will not run too lean.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

header

You should be fine as long as the O2 sensors are still in place on the new header.
I would disconnect the battery and then ride it a few heat cycles.
Scott
Old 07-14-2017, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
My advice is to always take digital pictures of the "before."
2000 R1100S, 2000 Dyna FXDX, 2015 rNineT. 2016 Rubicon, 2010 F-150, 1995 GMC Sierra. 2001 Corvette, 1978 Porsche 928. Schwinn Homegrown MTB & Fastback Road Bike. 22 pairs of shoes. 44 bottles of beer.
Time Marches On: 2010 F800GS, 2007 R1200S, 2003 Dakar, Buell 1125r, 2001 F650GS. 1999 F650. 1998 HD Sportster Sport. ALL GONE
Old 07-14-2017, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Bob Hancock had a similar setup with a stock muffler. I think he was using the Booster Plug or something similar. I don't know if his set up eliminated the O2 sensors or not but someone knowledgeable advised him to do it. I can't remember who that someone was as that conversation was over 6 years ago. Hell maybe I dreamed it all.

I'm just saying make sure you are good to go.

Couple of stories of burnt / broken valves from running lean r1200s on this board.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here comes the voice of doom ...
On the 1100 the header bolts have been known to not play ball. Breaking off iirc.
I don't know if the 1200 suffers the same habit. Just to be on the safe side could the job wait until after the trip?
Good luck!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

On the R1200S, replacing the entire stock exhaust with a full Remus, ie no cat and less restrictive can, will not require a change as long as you retain the O2 sensors. The bikes ECU will easily adapt to the improved air flow and maintain the original Air/Fuel ratio.

My R1200S never had the slightest issue with such a set up and the bike lived off of bumping into the rev limiter. It would easily hit the rev limiter in 6th.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey guys, quick update on this project.

I installed the TI Remus Headers today, and from start to finish it took 60 minutes. It was one of those very satisfying projects that went exactly according to plan, with no busted knuckles and no surprises.

I have to give a shout out to fellow board member David M. who sold me the headers. His packaging job for shipment was second to none, and the headers are in as new condition, just like he said. What I love about cool online forums like this is that these bikes and parts have a great life... David was finished with the headers and now I get to enjoy them. There's something very elegant about all of that.

Overview of the install process:
  • First I loosened all the bolts to make sure none of them were seized. The one nut for the O2 sensor on the right side was a little hard to loosen, but nothing crazy. I literally use this very long adjustable wrench, just to get more leverage on it. Everything else was easy.
  • Once I knew I could get everything taken apart, I then took off all the nuts and bolts. You have to remove the two bolts holding the bracket and C clamp apparatus that holds the OEM exhaust on near the catalytic converter. This bracket gets entirely removed, and the bolts returned to their original location after removing the bracket. You don't need the bracket with the Remus exhaust because one, it's super light, and two, the way it connects to the front and rear of the bike makes the bracket not necessary. I could have saved myself 10 minutes by removing both bolts once the OEM Exhaust was off the bike, but I wanted to make sure the Remus headers fit properly first, in case I had to reinstall the OEM header which would require the bracket. This made it more difficult to remove and then replace the final bolt holding the bracket assembly onto the bike (there are two bolts) because I had to work around the newly installed header.
  • After removing all the bolts, and also the two exhaust springs (a Vice Grip works perfectly for this) I carefully removed the OEM header. Nothing tricky, just slides right off.
  • Next, after admiring the lightness and absolute beautiful build quality of the Remus TI headers, I installed the Y pipe to the OEM exhaust, sliding it on and letting it just rest there while I installed the headers.
  • Next, I examined the original OEM header to determine which header goes on which side. Not tricky, but measure twice, cut once.
  • Then starting from the front, I attached each header, hand tight, making sure the header was fully seated properly on each head.
  • Then, I carefully adjusted everything to fit properly, making some subtle adjustments. The pieces fit together snugly, so I don't think there will be any leaks of any sort.
  • After lining everything up, I carefully tightened down the bolts where the headers connect to the bike.
  • Lastly, I attached the O2 sensors, and installed the 2 original OEM springs in the original locations, and then the two additional springs that Remus provides to connect the header to the Y pipe.
  • Finally, I tightened everything down, and started the bike. Everything seems to run great. I will take it out for a shakedown run before leaving on my trip.

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. This was a fun little project.

Pictures below.

Mullet
Bend, Oregon

Old 07-15-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm always a little suspicious when there are no surprises. You did remember to take the tennis balls out, didn't you?
2004 R1150S
Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
I'm always a little suspicious when there are no surprises. You did remember to take the tennis balls out, didn't you?
Tennis balls? I thought those were part of the headers....
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Good to hear all went well. Did you just reuse the metal gaskets at the headers or need new ones? Cheers!

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk
Old 07-17-2017, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: