Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

List the Dealers That are Gouging S1000RR Pricing

There are a couple of S1000RR's listed on ebay for a price significantly higher than MSRP. Here's one listed at BMW Daytona. Another is listed by a private seller in Shreveport, LA. I believe that the MSRP on these two bikes should be around $17,500.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

BMW of Hollywood is charging way over list.

San Jose BMW is NOT
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Not that I have any plans to buy this bike....but why is "gouging" such a bad thing? Many BMW dealers have gone out of business and many others are just hanging on. So, if the company finally puts out something that creates gouge demand.....so what? If it's too much, don't buy it.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I guess there are two sides to this story, Bob. Yours is one side and bilking the customers for a product that is already well over that of the competition is another story. Time will tell. BMW is going after a very new market here.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

wikipedia says

"Price gouging is a term for a seller pricing much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a felony that applies in some of the United States only during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits."

So....is there any way a BMW motorcycle can be "gouged"?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Actually in a free market, pricing is determined by comparative shopping. A sophisticated shopper should be aware of the market and act accordingly.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This thread makes for informed shoppers.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ride Italian

Send a message via Yahoo to schoolbusbob
Mark Up.

The stock bike is $13,800 if you add ABS/TC add $1,400. Motorrad paint add $750. Speed shifter add $450 Add for BMW shipping from dock $450. Alarm??? add $750. Tax, tag, dealers set up and that $13,800 bike is well into the $16k if not over with no effort or " above list" mark up. I'm sure some are trying that route but.. new bike, new model, lots of PR from the press and BMW, new market. And that is where it will hurt. The Jap bike riders will expect them to be heavy discounted due to the market ( like there Honda and Yam) but they are just going to have the European experience. BobL
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
woolf

long beach BMWmotorcycles has worked with 2 of my ridding BUB's
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbusbob View Post
The stock bike is $13,800 if you add ABS/TC add $1,400. Motorrad paint add $750. Speed shifter add $450 Add for BMW shipping from dock $450. Alarm??? add $750. Tax, tag, dealers set up and that $13,800 bike is well into the $16k if not over with no effort or " above list" mark up. I'm sure some are trying that route but.. new bike, new model, lots of PR from the press and BMW, new market. And that is where it will hurt. The Jap bike riders will expect them to be heavy discounted due to the market ( like there Honda and Yam) but they are just going to have the European experience. BobL
I see the post problem is solved.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
woolf

thanks looks like it is working
joel
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Actually in a free market, pricing is determined by comparative shopping. A sophisticated shopper should be aware of the market and act accordingly.
Exactly. Any shopper worth their wallet gives it 6-12 months and it will be priced more competitively without above list prices. The RC51 was over-list in some areas when it came out but I picked up a nice one at a good discount a year later. Same deal on the HP2, albeit it was priced at list price. There's an HP2S sitting in the local dealer with $10k off the list price. A bit of self-restraint is what is called for by the consumer. If a customer is willing to pay the dealer above list it's their choice/folly.

aka: SQD8R
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: