Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Interesting stat on S1000RR

From Keith Code's email flyer:

"Code-Break readers may recall my observations about the past 50 years, that horsepower wasn’t the cause before, and was unlikely to be the cause now, of crashing motorcycles. Rather, it is rider errors in applying core technical skills that causes them to go down. That was my story, and now I have proof, so I’m sticking to it.

So far this year, over 400 or our students have run 49,000 track miles at 4 tracks in 13 days of riding. The training was conducted in all sorts of weather, including rain, on our 2010 BMW S1000RRs fitted with Dynamic Traction Control and Race ABS systems. Yes, we run the first session in Rain Mode which limits the power output to “only” 150 bhp. After the first ride students are allow to go for the full power.

The bike provides an electronic cushion that forgives the rider some of the more common errors. This curtails panic; riders have that cushion and it provides time to gather themselves together before it escalates to out-of-control proportions. At the same time, NO, the bike cannot and will not forgive truly stupid riding.

Here are the results. Compared to the 600s we’ve used for the past 30 years; 12 million miles of track training; over 125,000 students; at 106 tracks around the world…our crash ratio has reduced by 400%. In real world numbers it looks like this: Last year we had 1.2 crashes per per school day average. This year so far, it’s down to a very convincing 0.3 per day.

Let me point out once again, bone stock, these bikes put out 193 bhp, add an Akrapovic pipe and that number is 204.5 bhp. Horsepower is not the cause of crashing and the S1000RR is the best high performance rider training aid ever invented. I rest my case."

Code's crash averages seem low compared with the track days I have been at (no tutoring, just track time), but the quantifiable decrease in crashing is still pretty impressive to me-

'09 Husky TE450
Old 05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

And this is the exact reason why I stopped looking at an 848 and decided to go for the Beemer. I had hoped all the electro wizardry would save my bacon. The only problem is I've been riding it a bit fast on the public roads. I really need to keep that in check. Track day in June should help...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There can be no doubt what so ever that the BMW S1000RR is an industry game changer.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

insurance for the 1000RR and the HP2S comaparison

HI all,
well i just got done with talking with insurance agent.
My hp2s insurance for a year was $862
the RR is going to be $1360.
That $500 comp/colision.
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

insurance for the 1000RR and the HP2S comaparison

HI all,
The insurance is progressive.
That $500 comp/collision, Discounts, good driver,(hehe), multi bike, lowjac.
I am going to contest this to the insurance company.
the traction control in it self should be a safety deduction that sets it apart from other sports bikes and the fact that the hp2 has so so so much more expensive parts makes a case for a price reduction.

How much do you pay?

jeff
Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered inmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Williams View Post
HI all,
the traction control in it self should be a safety deduction that sets it apart from other sports bikes and the fact that the hp2 has so so so much more expensive parts makes a case for a price reduction.

How much do you pay?

jeff
Just for comparison, my full coverage insurance on my HP2 Sport is $237 per year, I'm 49, live in SoCal, bike is garaged, 3 bikes on the policy and I have had 1 ticket in the last 5 years.

Schlim66
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As S1000RR crashes increase due to the hp this bike has, you can expect the cost of insuring it to takeoff like Blue Angel Lead. That would be straight up. It's the horse power guys.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I changed to Rider Insurance and total coverage w/$500 deductible and 100/300K liability is $262.00/year. I'm 59 with a clean driving record, but changed all my bike insurances from Progressive to Rider Insurance when I bought the SKRR, as everyone else I got a quote from (including Progressive) was quite a bit higher. Total cost to insure my CBR1100XX (liability only), a '93 Moto Guzzi Daytona (full coverage) and my SKRR (full coverage) is now $569.00/year, only slightly more than what I paid Progressive for Comp and Liability only on the CBR, R12S, and the MG last year.

Driver Insurance doesn't offer only Comp and Liability; you either get Liability, or you add both Comp and Collision. Somehow the SKRR isn't classed as a sport bike with Driver Insurance, otherwise I'd do only Liability and Comp thru someone else as I've done for the last several years.
80's vintage RZ350 awaiting resurrection after holing a piston several years ago
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

cloudy,
unfortunately we can't get rider in Calif.
enjoy it before they equalize the country insurance because someone says it isn't fair
jeff
Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
HI all,

How much do you pay?

jeff

I called my agent just to find a reason not to look at the RR, but it came back much lower than I thought:

I'm 39, clean driving record, West Michigan (smaller suburban area), garaged, multi-policy discount (3 bikes, cars, and house): Under $600 a year.

(The K1300S was very similar, a little lower)

I suspect that $$ number may go up as reality sets in: there's no "change physics" button. Even if the bike keeps you from paying for some errors, it may lead you to push beyond your level with the expectation that the bike will somehow save you from the big one.

I'm planning on waiting at least a year to let the beta testers fix the inevitable first year gremlins, and to see what the insurance companies make of it.

Dave

2009 R1200RT - Silver
2007 R1200S - Candy Cane
2003 H-D V-Rod--Custom
Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Max Distance KeyFlinger

Quote:
HI all,

How much do you pay?

jeff
Jeff, I'm with Safeco and sent a copy of Keith Code's article to my agent who is a rider and in close contact with the guy that reviews vehicles for coverage. She said he is looking into it at this time based upon that article. Cross your fingers. and hope that nobody wads theirs up in the meantime.

2012 BMW R1200GSA~HNG UP
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

thanks alan
Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My RR is something like $280 a year through State Farm Insurance. My F800 is about $220 per year for comparison.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Mine is $303 with American Family. Reflects multivehicle discount, home and auto discount and most importantly, I'm incredibly old and really should slow down one of these days. Last time I was this excited about a bike were my 1990 Honda RC30's. Used with a few brain cels engaged the RR is probably one of the safest motorcycles ever made. Stuff this on the street, you might want to consider a new sport.
As Dean said, an industry game changer.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: